Sample Interview Questions
* What has been your favorite course during high school? Why? What characteristics do you seek in your teachers?
* How would you rate your academic strengths and weaknesses? Are you better in some areas than others? Do you know why?
* Which subjects are you studying now? Do you enjoy some more than others? Why? Are your courses easy or challenging?
* If I were to wander into your school's faculty room and mention your name, what reaction would I get? How would your teachers characterize you? Do some teachers see you differently than others?
* How would you rate yourself as a writer? What was the most challenging writing assignment you've faced?
* What subjects do you plan to study in college? Are there any new subjects you hope to try? Do you have any dreams or goals after graduation from college?
* Are there any specific extracurricular interests or activities that you plan or hope to pursue in college?
* Why are these of interest?
* What have you done in these areas before? Have you participated during high school or in your community?
* What do you gain from this interest?
* Are you a different or better person because of the time you've committed to this interest?
* What have you done during the summers? Is there someone you share a special interest with? Is there someone in your life who has had an impact on your life and why?
* If the student has worked at a job: How did you get the job? Did you enjoy it? What were the best/worst features of your job? Did you learn anything about yourself in this job? Would you do it again?
* What might you do with a year off between high school and college?
* Tell me about your current schedule and activities.
* Why do you want to go to Wesleyan?
* What subject areas are you most interested in? Discuss a book or project that you enjoyed.
* Have you thought about a major or area of concentration? Ideas about your future?
* What do you look forward to most about college?
* How well do you do with independence? Give an example of a problem or task or project you have dealt with that required you to demonstrate your independence.
* Any questions for me?