Logo: Wesleyan Athletics

Morgan McCauley '12 is Key to Two Cardinal Victories within a Week's Time with 3 Goals, 1 Assist

Morgan McCauley '12

Scoring the eventual game-winning goal just 4:01 into the second half, Morgan McCauley '12 (#21, photo) gave the Cardinals the lead for good and she added the primary assist on Taryn Murray's '13 insurance goal with 12:07 remaining to put the finishing touches on the 3-1 victory over Wellesley Wed., Sept. 23. It was the initial victory of the year for the Cardinals as they got back into NESCAC play at home Sat., Sept. 26 against Tufts, falling to the third-ranked team in the country by the same 3-1 count. Wesleyan collected its second win of the year in another non-conference game, this one a 2-1 triumph at Wheaton Tues., Sept. 29 as McCauley put home both Cardinal tallies.

Wesleyan wasted little time grabbing a 1-0 lead against Wellesley as Ashley McLaren '13 sent a ball ahead to the middle of the scoring circle where Alexa David '10 changed the direction along its path enough to find the back of the cage just 39 seconds into the game. The margin held until the latter stages of the period as Wellesley picked up its lone tally with 2:40 to go before halftime.

Then McCauley did her thing from in close on the right, taking a good pass from Lila Creighton '11, who had fostered a strong rush on the right side. The third goal was a perfectly executed corner as David sent the ball to McCauley just outside the circle on the left and her centering pass found the stick of Murray for a tip high into the air and into the right side of the net. Thus both McCauley and David ended the game with three scoring points.

Wesleyan held a 24-6 edge in shots as keeper Tori Redding '13 needed just three saves to hold Wellesley at bay. The Cardinals put 22 of their 24 shots on the Wellesley cage, keeper the Blue netminder busy much of the evening.

Against Tufts, McLaren spotted the Cards an early lead but Tufts came back with a pair before intermission to hold a 2-1 lead at halftime. Though the second half was much more even statistically, Wesleyan could not penetrate the Tufts defense which had allowed just two goals in its opening four games. The Jumbos tacked on an insurance marker with 12 minutes remaining. Redding had her busiest day as a Cardinal, making 17 stops as Tufts held a 25-6 edge in shots, 18-3 in the first period.

At Wheaton, McCauley lit the lamp off a rebound in the seventh minute, then used a dodge and a lofted shot to up the Cardinals margin to 2-0 in the 42nd minute. Though Wheaton cut the deficit in half with a goal in the 57th minute, Wesleyan and goalie Tori Redding '13 made sure the score stayed in the Cardinals' favor the rest of the way. Redding made four saves in the contest as Wesleyan held a substantial 21-8 edge in total shots.

The next action for the team takes place Fri., Oct, 2 when the squad ventures to Trinity to take on the nationally sixth-ranked Bantams in a NESCAC matchup.