Field Hockey

Field Hockey Off to First 4-0 Start Since '97 After Defeating Colby & UMass Dartmouth

Behind a pair of goals from Morgan McCauley '12 (#21, left-side photo), Wesleyan rallied for a 2-1 OT victory at Colby Sat., Sept. 18, avenging an overtime loss to the Mules at home a year ago.  In the last nine meetings between Wesleyan and Colby, six have gone into overtime and eight have been decided by just one goal.  Wesleyan leads the series, 11-6.

The Cardinals had little time to rest before getting right back into playing mode by hosting UMass Dartmouth in a non-conference matchup Sun., Sept. 19.  It was the first-ever meeting of the two squads.  Behind a pair of Liz Chabot '12 (#4, right-side photo) goals in a span of two minutes between the first and second half, the Cardinals came through with a 4-2 triumph.

Wesleyan holds a 4-0 mark to begin the year for the first time since the 1997 campaign.  It is also the first time since the advent of the full round-robin NESCAC schedule in 2000 that Wesleyan stands 2-0 in conference play.

At Colby, the Mules had broken a scoreless tie with just 3:40 left in regulation.  The Cardinals appeared to have the tying goal with just over a minute to play following a penalty corner but the goal was waved off.  Colby failed to clear its end following the free hit and the Cardinals again charged the net.  McCauley got a pass down low on the right from Taryn Murray '12 and slipped in the tying goal with just :51 left in the second half.

McCauley made it a two-goal game when she netted the golden goal from in tight on the left 7:51 into the opening OT period.  Murray stared a rush o the right side and sent a centering pass that Liz Chabot '11 tipped to the left, finding McCauley's stick for the winner.

Wesleyan thouroughly dominated the positional play with a 34-15 advantage in shots.  McCauley outshot the entire Mule side with 16 shots of her own.  While keeper Tori Redding '13 turned aside six Mule scoring bids, the Colby netminder kept her squad in the contest with 17 saves, six of those in extra time.

Back home vs. UMD, Chabot's two goals gave her a team-leading four on the year, but it was Alex Bean '11 who gave Wesleyan the lead for good.  She finished off a rush up the right side by Averill Roberto '13, who then passed down low to Taryn Murray '13.  Murray crossed to Bean on the left side of the net for a poke-in at the 22nd minute.  Chabot made it 2-0 for Wesleyan with an individual run on the left side, culminating in a low, in-tight shot from 10 feet out.  That came just 24 second before the end of the period.

Chabot pushed the margin to 3-0 in the 37th minute, starting and finishing a penalty corner with McCauley sending the ball back to Chabot at the left post for a redirect high into the net.  The lead maxed at 4-0 in the 41st minute on the first career goal of Blair Ingraham '14 as she took a centering pass from the right endline by Amy Blum '14 after another penalty corner taken by Chabot.  Both Allie Lynch '11 and Ashley McLaren '13 were involved in the play with passes.  To see a one-minter video of all four Cardinal goals vs. UMD, click < here >.

Though UMD scored the final two goals, one in the 46th minute and the last in the 56th minute, Wesleyan, with a 17-8 edge in shots, hung on for the victory.  Redding had just three saves as UMD put only five shot on net.

Wesleyan travels to Wellesley Wed., Sept. 22 for its next contest in hopes of going 3-0 against non-conference foes in the early going.  Wesleyan got past Wellesley last year, 3-1, in Middletown.

On Tues., Sept 21, announced its weekly Division III poll and players of the week.  The Cardinals crept into the #20 slot nationally and Chabot earned a place on the weekly honor roll.

(photos courtesy of Scott Porter)