Mens Ice Hockey

Anthony DePietto '11 Nets Tying Goal to Back 22 Saves from Glenn Stowell '13 in 1-1 Tie at Wentworth - League Setbacks to Babson & UMass Boston Follow

Playing 40 minutes of scoreless hockey through two periods of action at Wentworth Sun., Nov. 28, the Cardinals found themselves trailing, 1-0, 2:36 into the final stanza when the Leopards broke the deadlock.  The margin stood for more than 13 minutes until Anthony DePietto '11 (#10, photo insert upper left) converted for Wesleyan at 15:53 with assists going to Henry Coxe '11 and Chris MacDonald '13. 

While keeper Glenn Stowell '13 (#31, main photo by had a solid game with 22 saves, the Cardinals used a 35-23 edge in shots to put pressure on the Leopard goalie, including a number of scoring bids while Wesleyan held a man advantage for five minutes, including the final 1:34 of regulation and the majority of the five-minute overtime period.  Still, Wesleyan was unable to master the homestanding goaltender more than once as the teams deadlocked at 1-1 in the non-conference affair.

It was the 12th all-time meeting of the teams but the first in five years.  The series remained dead even at 5-5-2.

The Cardinals returned to league action Fri., Dec. 3 with another visit to the Boston area, taking on Babson, followed by a contest at UMass Boston Sat., Dec. 4 to close out the league weekend.  Babson pulled away from Wesleyan in the third period after the teams had played to a 1-1 standoff through the opening 40 minutes.  The teams had traded power-play goal with the Cardinals tying the game at 4:54 of the second on Keith Buehler's '14 second goal of the season.  But another Babson man-up goal at 3:42 proved to be the game-winner and the home squad netted a pair in the final two minutes, the last into an empty net, to post the 4-1 victory.  Stowell had 24 saves while allowing three goals.

At UMass Boston, the Cardinals came from behind three times to tie the game, having trailed, 1-0. 2-1 and 4-2.  Nik Tasiopolous '14 netted the first two Cardinal goals to twice deadlock the contest in the first period.  When the Beacons carried a 4-2 lead into the final period, goals by DePietto and Geoff Mucha '12 evened the count with 6:29 remaining.  UMB broke the tie with 3:52 to play and added an empty-net goal with 1:43 left on the clock to seal the 6-4 victory.  Stowell handed the net with 31 saves.

Up next for the squad is the McCabe Tournament hosted by Amherst Sun. and Mon., Jan. 2-3.  Amherst will be the Cardinals' first-round opponent while Conn. College and Trinity pair up in the other first-round contest.