Field Hockey

Taryn Murray '13 Nets Golden Goal and Adds an Assist as Cardinals Outlast Mount Holyoke, 2-1, in OT Before NESCAC Setback at Tufts

Behind the golden goal of Taryn Murray '13 (#16, photo), who converted a pass to the right side by Taylor Wells '14 1:38 into the second sudden-victory overtime period, Wesleyan escaped with a 2-1 victory over visiting Mount Holyoke at home Wed., Sept. 14.  For Wesleyan, it was the 11th consecutive victory over a non-conference opponent over the last three seasons.  The last non-NESCAC team to knock off the Cardinals was Mount Holyoke, which took a 2-0 decision in South Hadley, Mass. during the 2008 campaign.  Wesleyan has won the last three meetings of the squads and holds a significant 25-6-2 edge in the overall series.

Wesleyan's winning goal started with a rush down the left side by Ashley McLaren '13, as she passed to the middle with a wave of players developing in front of the Lyons net.  Wells got control and pushed the ball to the right, where a waiting Murray fired a shot into the net to end the contest.  

Mount Holyoke led much of the contest, scoring in the first half after a corner 18:24 of the opening stanza.  After several passes, the Lyons found the Cardinal net with their first and only shot of the opening period. 

Wesleyan, which dominated play around the net with a 13-4 edge in shots and an equally dominant 12-4 margin in penalty corners, got the equalizer off the stick of Blair Ingraham '14 with just 4:10 left to play in the second half.  She finished off a scramble in front of the Lyons net with the assist going to Murray, who pushed the ball toward the net from the right side after Liz Chabot '12 began the play with a left-side rush.

Seeing just four shots during the game and only two on net, Tori Redding '13 had a lone stop in front of the Cardinal cage.

Up next for Wesleyan was a visit to eighth-ranked nationally Tufts Sat., Sept. 17 for its second NESCAC outing of the season. The Jumbos generated a 27-8 differential in total shots, and 15-2 in shots on goal.  Redding made 13 saves, including eight in the first half, but Tufts scored just two minutes into the contest on a penalty stroke, awarded due to a covered ball in front of the Wesleyan cage.  Redding got a piece of the ensuring stroke but it wasn't enough to prevent the tally.  Tufts doubled the lead just five minutes later while Redding held the high-powered Jumbos at bay for the remaining 63 minutes.  The second Tufts goal came on one of 17 penalty corners taken by the host in the contest.  Redding made an initial save but the rebound was tucked in for the 2-0 lead.

Wesleyan moves out-of-conference next in another mid-week home outing, taking on Wellesley Wed., Sept. 21.