Womens Ice Hockey

Cards Come Ever So Close to Success at Bowdoin but Come up on Short End of 3-2 Score Before Losses at NEC & Conn

After falling to Bowdoin 4-1 the night before as the Polar Bears scored three goals in the third period and had three power-play goals to their credit, Wesleyan entered the rematch Sat., Jan. 14 in Brunswick with new resolve.  The Cardinals stayed out of the penalty box as they committed just three infractions to six by Bowdoin, and yielded no power-play goals while scoring one of their own.  That came off the stick of Jill Reynolds '12 (#24, main photo) at 11:04 of the third period to lift Wesleyan into a tie with its host, 2-2.  But Bowdoin scored the game-winner with just 1:35 remaining to sweep the NESCAC series.

Though Bowdoin got on the board just 1:33 into the contest, Wesleyan responded in short order as Glenn Hartman-Mattson '14 (#6, photo insert lower right) got the equalizer a mere 32 seconds later, her third goal of the season, and the first period ended 1-1.  A short-handed goal by Bowdoin at 4:20 of the middle period gave the host a 2-1 margin heading into the final 20 minutes.  Reynolds took control of the puck in center ice and darted into the Bowdoin zone to fire home a high shot from the right circle for her third goal of the year and even the count at 2-2.

Though outshot 34-19, Wesleyan got solid goaltending from Ashleigh Corvi, as she logged 31 saves.

The Cardinals were on the road for a non-conference affair Tues., Jan. 17, taking on New England College.  There the Pilgrims prevailed, 5-1, though Wesleyan generated a 37-31 edge in shots.  Scoring for Wesleyan midway through the second period was Becca Koppel '13, which cut a 2-0 deficit in half.  A goal by NEC 53 seconds later bumped the difference back to two and a pair of tallies by the host in the third period accounted for the final margin.  NEC won for the third time in five all-time meetings against Wesleyan.  The teams played to a 1-1 tie a year ago in Middletown.

Wesleyan began a key NESCAC weekend, taking on Conn. College in the first of a pair of contest Fri., Jan. 20 in New London.  Conn overcame a 1-0 deficit heading into the third period and pulled away for a 4-1 victory.  The teams met again in the same location Sat., Jan. 21, with Conn again coming out on top, 3-1.

Jordan Schildhaus '15 spotted the Cardinals a 1-0 edge at 11:56 of the middle period in game one, breaking the 0-0 standoff with assists going to Glenn Hartman-Mattson '14 and Caitlin Bray '15.  Corvi finished the first two periods with 23 saves as Wesleyan held the 1-0 lead.  Conn evened the count at 1:49 of the third period and added a pair in a span of under a minute to go ahead 3-1 at the 6:38 mark.  A power-play goal, by the Camels at 8:24 polished off the scoring for the evening.  Corvi finished with 30 saves.

In the second game, a goal by Hannah Jellinek '15, the first of her career, tied the contest at 1-1 4:35 into the third period.  The Canels came right back to regain the lead just 20 seconds later and net the insurance goal with 7:12 left in the game.  Koppel had the assist on the Cardinal marker.  Corvi again played a solid game in the net, stopping 32 shots.

Wesleyan starts a five-game home stand against NESCAC foes Fri., Feb. 3, playing Hamilton in the first of back-to-back game with the Continentals.  The second game on Sat., Jan. 4 will be webcast starting at 3 p.m. and can be viewed by clicking < here >.