Field Hockey

Taryn Murray '13 Registers Tying Goal in Second Half but Cardinals Fall to Conn in OT, 2-1, Then Drop Little Three Showdown to Amherst

Conn. College converted a penalty corner 11:08 into the first sudden-victory overtime to make itself an instant 2-1 winner over Wesleyan Wed., Oct. 17.  The Camels ended a three-year skid vs. Wesleyan and won for only the third time in the last 16 meetings of the teams, though Conn holds a 22-19-1 edge in the overall series.

The Camels opened the scoring 7:51 into the second half after a scoreless first period by redirected a centering pass from deep on the right high into the middle of the net just under the crossbar.  Just 1:39 later, Taryn Murray '13 (#16, photo)responded with her sixth goal of the season, finishing off a penalty corner with a shot from the right side past the Conn keeper after Taylor Wells '14 started the play with an insertion to Blair Ingraham '14, who sent the ball across the circle from the left through a crowd to Murray.  The teams played the final 25:30 scoreless to enter overtime knotted at 1-1.

This was the third straight overtime game played between the Camels and Cardinals in Middletown as Wesleyan took a 2-1 decision in 2010 while Conn emerged with a 4-3 win in 2008.

Shots tonight favored the Cardinals, 17-10, while corners were even more to Wesleyan's advantage, 15-6.  Each team had three corners in overtime.  Tori Redding '13 finished with four stops in the Wesleyan net.

The next game for Wesleyan came up Sat., Oct. 20 when the Cardinals hosted Little Three rival Amherst in a Litle Three showdown.  Amherst broke a scoreless tie with 6:39 left in the second half and it held up as the game-winner, giving the Lord Jeffs the crown as both Wesleyan and Amherst had knocked off Williams earlier in the year.  Both teams have clinched spots in the upcoming NESCAC tournament as Amherst sits fifth in the standings while Wesleyan is tied for sixth with Williams and Conn. College.  The regular season ends for both Amherst and Wesleyan Wed., Oct. 24 when the Cardinals travel to Trinity and Amherst heads to Conn. College.

The Amherst goal came during a swarm in front of the Wesleyan net as the ball got nudged it into the cage past Redding.  Wesleyan dominated the game with a 22-6 shot differential but 11 saves by the Amherst netminder proved to be the difference.  Two of those stops came with about five minutes left in the second half as Wesleyan got two corner, both of which resulted in blasts by Ashley McLaren '13 and pad saves by the goalie.  Wesleyan generated a 10-7 margin on corners.