Mens Soccer

Goals by Chris Kuehn '13, Noah Schlesinger '13 & Chris Kafina '16 Complement Adam Purdy '13 Shutouts in Men's Soccer Win vs. Bates & Colby - Streaks Ends at ECSU

Wesleyan scored a pair of goals 12 minutes apart in the first half to deliver a 2-0 victory over host Bates Sat., Oct. 6.  It was the Cardinals' seventh shutout in nine starts this season and sixth of the year for Adam Purdy '13 (#30, photo insert lower right).  When Wesleyan completed its NESCAC weekend at Colby Sun., Oct. 7, a Chris Kafina '16 goal in the 32nd minute was the only marker of the game as Purdy recorded shutout #7 and extended his string of shutout minutes to 493:58 this season.  Wesleyan now stands 7-1-2 overall and 5-1-1 in conference play and has won four consecutive game with an active seven-game (5-0-2) unbreaten streak going.

After starting the Bates game with a 6-0 advantage in shots taken, the Cardinals struck in the 27th minute. Ian Waldron '13 sent a cross from deep in the corner to the front of Bates' goal, where Chris Kuehn '13 (#11, main photo) headed it past the Bates goalie for a 1-0 lead. With 6:24 left in the half, the Cardinals doubled the lead when Noah Schlesinger '13 (#8, photo insert upper right) scored on a breakaway, set up by Spencer Tanaka '15.

Wesleyan outshot Bates 20-10 in the game, and took eight corner kicks to Bates' three.  Purdy made four saves in the shutout effort, the 30th of his career.

Purdy made it 31 career shutouts with two stops at Colby as the Cardinals beat the Mules for the 14th meeting in a row, dating back to 2000, the start of NESCAC round-robin play.  Colby's only victory in the series came in 1978, the initial affair coming in ECAC tournament play.

Kafina netted his third goal of the season by knocking in a cross from the right side by Schlesinger into the lower left corner of the net.  Neither team generated many shots as the Cardinals maintaned a narrow 7-5 edge in that department.

Wesleyan moved out of conference for next contest Wed., Oct. 10 at Eastern Connecticut.  Wesleyan was ranked fifth in New England heading into the affair while the fourth-ranked Warriors, who also are ranked 25th nationally, brought a 10-0-1 mark into Wednesday's battle.  Wesleyan outshot its host, 13-3, in the first half and 13-0 in the second half for a dominating 26-3 margin, but an Eastern goal in the eighth minute after a throw-in on the right side and a quick shot from about 20 yards out was the only marker of the game.  The tally ended Purdy's scoreless streak at 500:25 and the loss stopped the Cardinals' seven-game unbeaten streak.  It also ended Wesleyan's four-game win streak vs. Eastern coming into the game as the Cardinals had captured eight of the last nine meetings but now stand 9-4 overall vs. Eastern.  Though the Cardinals had a decided territorial advantage, they only managed to put five of their 26 shots on goal.  In the 75th minute, a header from five yards out by Rory O'Neill '13 was the team's best chance to score but the Warriors' keeper made the low stop to preserve his shutout.

Wesleyan has a week off before resuming game action.  Up next is a key NESCAC matchup at home with Conn. College.  The game Wed., Oct. 17 will be webcast starting at 3:30 p.m. and can be viewed by clicking < here >.

(photos by Peter Stein '84)