Mens Ice Hockey

Tommy Hartnett '14 Nets a Pair of Goals at Conn to Carry Men's Ice Hockey to Opening-Day Win, 5-2 - Team Falls to Tufts & UMass Dartmouth

Tommy Hartnett '14 (#21, photo), along with linemates Keith Buehler '13 and John Guay '13, combined for four of the Cardinals five goals during a 5-2 road NESCAC win against Conn College Fri., Nov. 16.   The Cardinals were back on the ice Sat., Nov. 17 in hopes of avenging a pair of losses to Tufts a year ago.  The game once again went the Jumbos way as the host produced a 4-2 victory.

Hartnett put Wesleyan ahead fo good at Conn just :46 into the game, converting a pass from James Albrecht '15 into a go-ahead goal.  When Buehler snapped one off at the 6:57 mark, assisted by Derek Collins '14, the Cardinals had a 2-0 cushion after 20 minutes.  Conn got the only marker of the second stanza, but Wesleyan quickly made it a 4-1 lead with goals at 2:37 and 3:53 of the third period.  Adam Kaiser '13 picked up the third tally off an assist from Donald Kleckner '13 while Harnett lit the lamp unassisted for the three-goal bulge.

Guay got the final goal into an empty net with Buehler assisting in the final minute of play.

Glenn Stowell '13 played a solid game between the pipes with 24 saves.

At Tufts, Wesleyan found itself playing catch-up throughout as Tufts drew first blood 1:27 into the game.  After failing to convert on four power-play chances in the first period, Wesleyan evened the count on Jay Matthew's '16 first career goal at 1:19 of the second period.  But Tufts regained the advantage 2:08 later, and upped the margin to 3-1 at the 6:54 mark.  Wesleyan narrowed the difference to one goal when Buehler netted his second of the season on the power play at 9:02 of the third period.  Wesleyan, which was outshot 23-14 over the opening 40 minutes, equaled the Jumbos in the third frame with 11 shots but could not come up with the equalizer.  With Stowell, who had 30 saves in the game, on the bench, Tufts added an empty-net goal with just eight ticks left on the clock.

Wesleyan moved out of conference for its next outing with a visit from UMass Dartmouth Tues., Nov. 20.  UMass Dartmouth got a rising wrist shot from the left circle off a feed from behind the net past Wesleyan goalie Matt Hadge '13 (31 saves) with 1:12 left in overtime to make an instant winner of the Corsairs, 5-4.

The Corsairs had tied the game with just over five minutes remaining in regulation by poking a rebound of a shot under Hadge and into the net for a 4-4 deadlock.  The teams were tied after one period of play but the Cardinals used a three-goal outburst in the middle stanza to carry a 4-3 lead into the final period. Donald Klecker '13 got the tying goal, his first of the season, at 13:26 by banging in a pass from Buehler as he whisked around from behind the net and sent the puck through the crease to Kleckner.  Hartnett then put the Cardinals ahead, 4-3, just 39 seconds later with his third goal of the season, one-timing a pass from Buehler from the left circle past the Corsairs' keeper.

No player had multiple goals in the game.  Four Cardinals had a two-point game with Kleckner and Jaren Taenaka '16 each picking up a goal and an assist while Buehler and Terence Durkin '16 each had a pair of assists.  Wesleyan generated a 42-36 edge in shots.

This was the seventh meeting between the teams and improved the Corsairs lead in the series to 4-2-1.  Wesleyan took a 5-2 decision at UMass Dartmouth last season.

Wesleyan plays its next game at home Sat., Nov. 24 in another non-conference game against SUNY Canton.