Mens Lacrosse

Aidan Daniell '14 Paces Men's Lax to Vital 10-6 NESCAC Triumph Against Bates with 1st-Half Hat Trick - Team Suffers 1st Loss at Union

Aidan Daniell '14 (#9, main photo) scored three first-half goals as homestanding Wesleyan, ranked ninth nationally in Division III, built a 6-1 lead in the second period over Bates Sat., March 8, and went on to post a 10-6 triumph.  The win ended a three-game losing skid for the Cardinals against the Bobcats.  Wesleyan holds a 21-12 series lead, but Bates has won seven of the most recent 13 meetings.

Lyle Mitchell '16 opened the scoring for Wesleyan just 1:48 into the game, and Daniell added a pair just 1:10 apart to make it a 3-0 game after only 5:01. While Bates got the initial goal of the second quarter just :25 in, Wesleyan got the next three in a span of 4:09 for the game's largest lead at 6-1.  Daniell started the run by completing his hat trick, with Graham Macnab '14 and Ian Vasquez '14 also connecting.  Bates posted a pair before the end of the period, cutting the deficit to 6-3 at intermission.

When a run from behind the net resulted in another Bobcat goal at 10:34 of the third quarter, Bates got within a pair at 6-4, but two Wesleyan goals on long-range shots from Matt Prezioso '15 and Vasquez, pushed the Cardinal edge to 8-4.  Bates made it 8-5 with :13 remaining in the third period.  Mitchell and Quentin DellaFera '15 both scored for Wesleyan in the fourth quarter, as DellaFera's goal, his team-high seventh of the year, made it a three-point game with his two assists.  Bates had one fourth-quarter tally.

In the Cardinal net Mark Simmons '14 (#11, photo insert lower left) stopped 14 Bates shots while allowing six goals.  Reserve Justin Schick '15 played 1:15 after a Simmons penalty and added a save.  Shots in the game were dead even at 36 apiece.

Wesleyan traveled to Union Wed., March 12 for its next encounter, a non-conference affair.  It was an uphill battle for the Cardinals as they found themselves in a 3-0 hole after one period.  With a pair of goals from DellaFera and one from David Murphy '15, the Cardinals clawed back to make it a 4-3 game with 6:27 left in the third quarter.  But the Dutchmen netted the next three goals to push out to a 7-3 margin with 6:11 remaining in the contest.  Wesleyan got two back in the closing moments with Prezioso and Daniell drawing the Cardinals within a pair at the 3:14 mark, but Wesleyan could get no closer in suffering its first loss of the year, 7-5, as both teams stood 3-1 following the game.  With his two markers, DellaFera upped his team-leading figure to nine.  Wesleyan outshot its host, 30-20, and Simmons picked up six saves.

Wesleyan returns to NESCAC play for its next contest, a battle with Middlebury Sat., March 15, in a game slated for a webcast.