Cards Post 7-0 Run in 2nd Half But Bates Finishes Game with Last Five Goals for 14-13 Win


Erin McCarthy '10 (#22, photo by Bob Molta) netted a career-high five goals and triggered a 7-0 Cardinal run in the second half as Wesleyan overcame as much as a four-goal deficit and took a 13-9 lead with 16:42 to go in its game vs. Bates Sat., March 21. 

But Bates asserted itself over the final 15 minutes, scoring the game's last five goals, the final one with just 16 seconds remaining, to pull out a 14-13 victory.

McCarthy, who had scored three goals in a game twice during her career, had three of her five goals vs. Bates in a span of only 12 minutes as the Cardinals, who trailed 6-2 in the first half and 9-6 early in the second period, rattled off seven straight with McCarthy starting the finishing the burst. As a result, Wesleyan forged its largest lead of the contest and looked hopeful of extending its winning streak against Bates to eight games.

Bates had other ideas, scoring at 14:45, 9:35, 8:06 and 2:18 to tie the contest. Wesleyan had two good scoring chances in the next minute but both shots whistled wide of the mark. Bates forced a turnover in the last minute, came up field and cashed in with :16 showing on the game clock. Wesleyan got the draw but was only able to manage a desperate long-range shot which also missed the goal.

Both Jess Chukwu '11 and Sarah Orkin '09 scored twice for the Cardinals in support of the attack.

Wesleyan returned to game mode on Sat., March 28, hosting Tufts, ranked seventh nationally. Tufts flexed its muscles in the first half, generating five goals in a span of 3:32 to take a 5-1 lead 10 minutes into the game. By the time the first half was over, the Jumbos held a comfortable 14-4 lead. A low-scoring second half resulted in a 17-6 final score for Tufts. Wesleyan had six individual goal-scorers while Allie Lynch '10 dished off three assists for a three-point day.

Next up for the squad is Wheaton College Sun., March 29 in Middletown.