Greg Hurd '10 Adds Four More Match Wins and a 174-Pound Title at RIT to His Growing List of Credits

Seeded first in a field of 14 competitors at 174 pounds during the R.I.T. Invitational Sat., Dec. 1, Greg Hurd '10 (photo) did not disappoint as he went 4-0 with a pin, two decisions and then a major decision in the title bout. Ranked eighth nationally in Division III, Hurd stands 7-1 thus far in varsity matches and was named New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Wrestler of the Week. Wesleyan had four others capture spot in the top-six of their weight class. Dan Bloom '10 was fourth at 125 pounds while Chris Alvanos '11 placed sixth at the same weight. Josh Wildes '08 came in fifth at 133 pounds and heavyweight Dan Conroy finished fourth. As a team Wesleyan came in seventh of 14 squads with four of the teams involved currently ranked among the top-30 nationally in Division III. In the team's opening dual match of the year, that at #18-ranked R.I.C., the Cardinals took just two matches in a 28-7 setback. Winning at 125 pounds by major decision (17-7) was Alvanos while Josh Berkovic '10 took a decision at 165 pounds. Hurd, taking on the #4-ranked wrestler in New England, lost a 7-5 decision in overtime. With his strong effort vs. R.I.C., Alvanos earned the NEWA Rookie of the Week award. The team has almost a month off from dual competition before returning to action in the annual North-South Duals hosted by Ursinus Sat., Jan. 5.