Dan Bloom '10 and Greg Hurd '10 Make it Three Straight Finals in Tournament Action Thus Far

Both Dan Bloom '10 (top in photo) and Greg Hurd '10 (bottom in photo) have made three straight appearances in the finals of the three distinguished tournaments in which Wesleyan has participated thus far. Starting in January, Wesleyan will get into the meat of its dual-match schedule starting with a trip to Trinity Wed., Jan. 7.

In the final action for the Cardinals this semester, Bloom won his first four bouts to make the finals at 125 pounds at the R.I.T. Invitational where he placed fourth last year. While he lost in the championship match, 6-2, it was his first defeat this season and it came against a wrestler ranked fifth nationally. Bloom won the 125-pound crown at both the Doug Parker Invitational at Springfield and the Roger Williams Invitational in November.

Also holding two titles and three appearances in the finals is Hurd, who successfully defended his 174-pound championship at R.I.T. with a 4-0 mark. His closest decision was a six-point margin with a 12-3 win in the finals. He, too, won the Doug Parker title and was second at Roger Williams to a wrestler presently ranked third in the country. Hurd has debuted on the national Division III rankings as of Dec. 9, holding the #10 slot at 174 pounds.

Wesleyan had two other placewinners at R.I.T. where the team finished in a tie for seventh among 13 teams. Zach Rolfe '10 and Charlie Hoag '11 both placed at 157 pounds with Rolfe grabbing fourth and Hoag fifth. Three other Cardinals came within one victory of a top-six finish.