Cardinals Sweep Past R.I.C. To Inaugurate 2008 Fall Campaign with a Solid Victory

mursu08

Collectively losing just 12 games over their nine matches during the season opener at R.I.C. Thurs., Sept. 11, the Cardinals produced a solid 9-0 victory. Madalina Ursu '09 (photo) was one of four top players to win at both single and doubles but she yielded just one game in total as she rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 win at #3 singles and teamed with Sarah Miller '12 for an 8-1 triumph at #1 doubles. Miller was a 6-1, 6-0 victor at #2 singles while Ania Preneta '09 won 6-0, 6-3 at #1 singles and Rachael Ghorbani '09 was a 6-0, 6-0 winner at #4 singles. She and Preneta combined for an 8-2 win at #2 doubles. After the Hall of Fame Doubles Tournament in Newport, R.I. Sun., Sept. 14 was cancelled, the Cardinals opened the home campaign against Little Three rival Williams Tues., Sept. 16. The Ephs continued their mastery of the Cardinals by rolling to a 9-0 victory. Ursu and Miller provided the stiffest challenge at #1 doubles before succumbing, 8-5. Up next for the squad is Bridgewater St. Wed., Sept. 24 in Middletown.