Courses with an emphasis on speaking help students develop the ability to speak effectively in a variety of situations, including small discussion groups, formal debates, public meetings, and lecture halls. Some courses may offer formal training in public speaking; all will involve a significant amount of oral expression. Courses with a speaking emphasis will offer one or more of the following features:
- Regular opportunities to present, develop, and advocate ideas orally in such formats as debates, classroom panel discussions, informal presentations, and scripted speeches.
- Instruction on how to speak effectively, including:
- how to engage, inform, and persuade an audience
- how to choose appropriate levels of discourse
- how to lead, facilitate, and summarize discussions
- how to use evidence, logic, imagery, and rhetoric
- how to enhance oral presentations with audiovisual aids
- how to listen attentively and respond constructively.