Miller Family Foundation Prize
Application Deadline: Friday, May 30, 2014 by 11:59 p.m. through MyCC.
Graduating seniors with need based loans* coming due are often faced with a difficult choice between taking a job in the non-profit sector that reflects their true interests and passion, or a higher paying position in the for-profit sector in order to better manage their monthly loan payments. The Miller Family Foundation Prize, established in 2001 by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Miller, P’99 & ‘02, recognizes the importance of supporting individuals who are interested in pursuing careers that benefit the community through education or through service and advocacy by providing two loan forgiveness grants. The exact amount of the grant will be determined at the time of the recipient selection.
For more information, email Jim Kubat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criteria for selection:
- Be a graduating senior with Wesleyan need-based financial aid loans;
- Have a confirmed job acceptance for a full-time position of one or more years in duration with a non-profit or educational organization;
- Provide evidence of interest in pursuing a career in social activism, education or community service;
- Have a first-year salary of $30,000 or less.
Students must submit an application to the Career Center via MyCC consisting of the following:
- A resume detailing your social activism, public service, volunteer and work experiences;
- A written statement (2 page maximum, 1.5 or double spaced) describing your interest in and commitment to working in education or the non-profit sector;
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or employer/supervisor. Faculty can email the letter directly to Jim Kubat at email@example.com with an electronic signature. If an employer, the letter should be a scanned PDF document on letterhead with signature, emailed to Jim.
- A letter of confirmation from the agency or organization certifying your acceptance of their full-time job offer lasting one or more years (include salary amount and/or compensation offer); the letter must state your name and be signed by the employer. A scanned PDF with the employer's signature on letterhead, or a separate hard copy letter via US mail delivered to the Career Center's address below, is acceptable.
- * Confirmation of your need-based financial aid loans processed through the Wesleyan Financial Aid Office (this can be a print-out of your loan summary found in your student portfolio). The printout must show your name. Scan it as a PDF and upload to MyCC. Personal family contribution loans are not acceptable.
- COMPLETE LOAN LENDER INFORMATION: THE FULL NAME OF A CONTACT AT THE LENDER, A PHONE NUMBER, AND FULL U.S. MAILING (STREET) ADDRESS.
- Associate Director of the Wesleyan Career Center or their designee;
- Director of the Center for Community Partnerships;
- One faculty member or Class Dean.
Your application must be received at the Career Center via MyCC by Friday, May 30, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. Only complete applications will be considered! They must include the employer's letter confirming your acceptance of the job! If by US mail, the Career Center's address is: Wesleyan University, Wesleyan Career Center, 41 Wyllys Avenue, First Floor, Middletown, CT 06459. Att: Jim Kubat.