Short-Term Paid Work Abroad

One of the biggest obstacles in finding paid work abroad is getting a work permit.  U.S. citizens need work permits to work legally in other countries.  Employers are not likely to hire you without one.  The good news is that students and recent graduates can take advantage of special work permit programs.  There are a number of organizations which can help you cut the red tape and acquire a legal work permit.

If you are looking for paid temporary or career-related work, the list of programs below is the best place to start.  Some programs provide job placement while others require you to find your own job.  Permits range from for 3-18 months.  Program fees start at $250

Work Permit Programs

American-Scandinavian Foundation - Temporary work permits for Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden.

Association for International Practical Training (AIPT) - “Americans Abroad” program offers work permits for France, Switzerland, United Kingdom and China.

British Universities North America Club (BUNAC) - Arranges work visas for students in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom.

Student Report: Working through BUNAC in Britain

Singapore Work Holiday Programme - The Work Holiday Programme allows university students and recent graduates to live and work in Singapore for up to six months.

CDS International - Work authorization services for independent work abroad in Germany and Switzerland. 

C.E.I./Club des 4 Vents – Work in France Program - C.E.I. offers temporary work permits for short-term jobs in France. 

 IAESTE United States - Work Permit Service for Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South America. Program for students majoring in technical and science fields but other fields may be possible depending on the country.

AIDE (Association of International Development and Exchange) - Work, Teach and Volunteer placement programs in over ten countries.  Accommodations and meals provided.  Salaries vary.