Private and Independent Schools
Teacher placement agencies (e.g., Carney Sandoe, CalWest, Dick Flood), professional associations, job announcements and resources for researching schools.
- Spotlight on Careers in Education - On-campus users won't need a password; off-campus users should get the password in advance from your portfolio [students], WesNet [alumni], or via firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Association of Independent Schools - Over 1200 schools, searchable by such criteria as grade level, coeducational or single-sex, and boarding or day. Also visit their "Career Center" to search job openings and post your resume.
- Wesleyan-friendly Schools - Schools which either have Wes alumni in leadership positions or that welcome Wesleyan applicants. (under construction, May 2011)
- Association of American Schools in South America
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates - One of the largest private school placement agencies. Located in Boston, placing teachers and administrators nationally, internationally, and in public charter schools.
- CalWest - Placement agency focusing on California and other Southwestern states.
- Dick Flood Educational Service - A boutique teacher placement agency that interviews at Wesleyan.
- Independent Schools Association of the Central States - Teacher and administrator Clearinghouse Placement Service. Over 200 schools in the Midwest participate.
- The Education Group - Since 1988, this organization has specialized in consulting and job placement for charter and independent (private) schools. They perform nationwide searches for educational and administrative positions at schools across the nation.
- European Council of International Schools
- International Schools Services
- National Association of Independent Schools - Links to about a dozen placement agencies; also lists school directories and sources of job listings in print.
- Nemnet.com - Minority teaching candidates can search for teaching jobs and post their resume to the database, which employers then search.
- Search Associates
- Southern Teachers Agency
Resources for Job Listings and Researching Schools
- Academic Employment Network - This Web site offers free access to a database of jobs in education (secondary-school listings are mixed in with higher education and public-school listings). For a fee, job searchers can post résumés or get access to a more comprehensive job-search database.
- American Montessori Schools - An incomplete listing of Montessori schools (may only include accredited schools).
- Educational Directions - View teacher job listings for free. You can also subscribe to view upper-level administrative and development positions in independent schools across the nation, which are also available in paper format by U.S. mail.
- Edulink - This Web site features an "Online Recruiting Fair" where job-seekers and schools can browse listings or, for a fee, list themselves. All positions are abroad.
- Independent School Management - Lists administrative and teaching positions in independent schools in the US.
- International Boys' Schools Coalition and National Coalition of Girls' Schools - These Web sites feature directories of member schools, with links to some school home pages.
- National Council of Teachers of English - Besides information and resources for teachers of English at all levels, this Web site has job postings and a section where job-seekers can post information about themselves, both free.
- Peterson's Private School Directory - Some of the school profiles are much more extensive than those in Boarding Schools Online (above). Also includes a listing of Special Needs schools.
- Private School Employment Network - Teaching and administrative jobs in private schools. No indication of when these job listings were posted.
Education Career Fairs are fairs which bring together teaching candidates and employers, typically independent schools, seeking to hire graduates for teaching positions in their schools.
Here is a selective list of Career Fairs of interest to Wesleyan students:
Carney Sandoe - Carney Sandoe is a teacher placement agency that recruits nationwide. They sponsor their own career fairs, which recruit teachers and administrators for placement in private, independent schools nationwide and abroad.
Nemnet Minority Recruitment - Nemnet sponsors career fairs nationwide for candidates of color.
(Additional fairs will be added as they are held).