Application Procedures and Policies for Semester and Year-Long Programs

Wesleyan Students: To Apply

  1. Submit the Initial Inquiry Form, available in your electronic portfolio (go to Academic Career – Study Abroad Information and Application)
  2. After submitting this form, attend a First Steps meeting (group advising session) in the Office of Study Abroad, during office hours (MWF 10-12pm, TTh 2-4pm). First Steps meetings run continuously every 15-20 minutes during office hours; come in when you can and you will be able to do one. After you have attended a First Steps meeting, OSA staff will open your online permission application. If you still have questions after attending a First Steps meeting, you may also schedule an appointment with an advisor in the Office of Study Abroad
  3. Fill out the online permission application including:
      • Application for permission to study abroad
      • Pre-departure reflection essay: For Wesleyan Programs only, essay must be in the language of the program
      • Major Advisor Authorization Form: Must select preliminary courses and have form signed by major advisor
      • Health Clearance
      • Assumption of Risk Release Waiver
      • Standards of Conduct Pledge
  4. If applying to a non-Wesleyan program, complete the program’s own application. Please note that deadlines may be different for outside program applications, and that students applying to Wesleyan’s programs and DIS will not have a separate application

Deadlines for completing the Wesleyan permission application process are as follows:

Spring Wesleyan programs: September 30
Spring all other programs: October 15

Fall or full year Wesleyan programs: February 22
Fall or full year all other programs: March 1

If the program you are applying to is not on the pre-approved list, a petition must be submitted by Oct 1/Feb 15.

In addition to submitting Wesleyan’s own online application, students applying elsewhere must contact the sponsoring institution regarding its own application form and procedures. Wesleyan students must satisfy all requirements, comply with all specific policies and regulations, and follow all application procedures set by both Wesleyan’s OSA and the program itself.

If an outside program requires a transcript, please visit the Registrar's Office in North College or make an online request. The OSA cannot request transcripts. Please note that there is a cost associated with requesting a transcript.

Non-Wesleyan Students: To Apply

Wesleyan University welcomes applications from qualified students from other institutions interested in a semester or year-long experience on the following programs:

ECCO: Eastern College Consortium in Bologna (Italy)
VWM: Vassar-Wesleyan Program in Madrid (Spain)
VWP: Vassar-Wesleyan Program in Paris (France)

Click here for deadlines, applications forms, and contact information


Students planning to apply must be in good academic and disciplinary standing when applying and at the time of departure. All Wesleyan academic regulations apply to students studying for Wesleyan credit abroad.

Permission to study abroad will be denied or revoked in the following circumstances:

  • Disciplinary proceedings filed after the approval to study abroad has been granted;
  • Failure to resolve any incomplete or any grade of X or AB by two weeks prior to the beginning of the program.
  • Failure to resolve a delinquent balance in the student’s Wesleyan account the semester prior to studying abroad.

Students wishing to study abroad following a medical leave must petition for permission to do so.

Application for permission to study abroad includes a Standards of Conduct Pledge. This pledge holds students accountable to Wesleyan’s Honor System and Code of Non-Academic Conduct. Infractions abroad may result in Honor Board or Student Judicial Board charges and potentially expulsion from the program.

Students required to resign from Wesleyan may not use study abroad as a way of gathering the credit needed to return, unless they are citizens of the country in which they wish to study. In that case, their credit taken abroad is processed as if it were domestic transfer credit through the Registrar’s office, and not through the OSA.

Students who accept positions as head residents for a particular academic year are not eligible to study abroad during that time, due to the commitments of that position.

Health, Safety, & Medical Insurance

As part of the permission application, you are required to seek clearance to study abroad from Wesleyan’s Davison Health Center and CAPS (Counseling & Psychological Services). Confidentiality laws prohibit OSA staff or program staff abroad from accessing students’ private medical history. For your own well-being, you are strongly encouraged to voluntarily discuss any health-related concerns or disabilities with your home-campus staff prior to departure and with the program director upon arrival abroad.

Health insurance is provided for all students studying abroad, either by your program or by Wesleyan. This coverage may not be waived, regardless of outside health insurance coverage. Please note that the insurance only covers you while you are abroad, and only during your program dates. You should retain a U.S. policy while you are abroad in order to avoid a lapse in coverage.

Travel Warnings

The US Department of State issues Travel Warnings when conditions make a country dangerous or unstable or due to the closing of an embassy or consulate. When planning to study in a country with a US Department of State Travel Warning, you must sign a country-specific waiver of liability after reading the applicable travel warning. If considering study in such a country, you are strongly urged to read the relevant US State Department Travel Warning as well as the British and Canadian equivalents.


In order to participate on a non-Wesleyan program, you must submit a copy of your acceptance letter and affirmation in writing that you will attend the program. Failure to do so may result in your permission to study abroad being revoked.

Upon arriving at your destination, you must forward your contact information (address and telephone number) to the OSA. The OSA will communicate with you via your Wesleyan email while you’re abroad, keeping you informed about events at Wesleyan and addressing any logistical and adaptation issues that may arise during your stay.

If you decide last minute to withdraw from study abroad, notify the OSA promptly, in order to facilitate arrangements for your return to campus.

Accessibility Services 

Wesleyan University is committed to ensuring that all qualified students with disabilities are afforded an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from its programs and services. To receive accommodations, a student must have a documented disability as defined by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and provide documentation of the disability. Since accommodations may require early planning and generally are not provided retroactively, please contact Accessibility Services as soon as possible.

If you believe that you need accommodations for a disability, please contact Dean Patey in Accessibility Services, located in North College, Room 021, or call 860/685-5581 for an appointment to discuss your needs and the process for requesting accommodations.