Petition Process for Non-Approved Programs
Students interested in studying abroad on a non-Wesleyan program that is not on the pre-approved list must submit a petition to the Associate Director of Study Abroad. In order for the Office of Study Abroad to consider such a request, students must complete:
- Petition letter which includes
- Explanation of a strong academic justification for why the program is more appropriate for their studies than a Wesleyan or pre-approved program
- Evidence in support of the quality and appropriateness of instruction offered
- Relevance to the student’s major
- Measures taken by the program to guarantee student health and safety
- Expectations for the academic, linguistic, and cultural immersion
- Evidence that the program has an equal opportunity or non-discrimination statement comparable to Wesleyan's.
- Wesleyan’s online permission application (includes all components)
- The program’s own application (may have different deadlines than Wesleyan)
Petitions will be evaluated by the Office of Study Abroad staff and/or by relevant faculty. Since approval is not guaranteed, students are strongly urged to apply to a preapproved program as a backup.
Deadline for spring petitions: September 30
Deadline for fall petitions: February 15