Academic Regulations


Students studying abroad under the auspices of Wesleyan’s Office of Study Abroad automatically receive credit toward their Wesleyan degree for all liberal arts courses taken abroad in fields taught at Wesleyan.

Students must enroll in the equivalent of four Wesleyan credits for each semester abroad. Permission for a fifth credit may be granted by the resident director of a Wesleyan-administered program, and by the Associate Director of Study Abroad for any other program.


In order for a course to count toward the major, students must obtain preliminary approval from their advisor or another member of the department prior to their departure from Wesleyan, as indicated on the online application. Permission to count a course toward the major cannot be granted retroactively.

Students may understandably need to modify their selection during the on-site registration period abroad. They are therefore expected to seek their advisor’s guidance and approval by email and must notify the Office of Study Abroad ( of any changes. Failure to do so may result in the student making inadequate progress toward the completion of the major.

In determining whether to count a course toward completion of the major, advisors may choose to make final approval contingent upon specific conditions. These conditions may include a minimum grade or portfolio review, that is, submission of the syllabus, course description and written work, upon returning to campus.

The Office of Study Abroad does not determine whether courses taken abroad count for completion of any specific major. All such decisions are made by the academic departments, colleges, or programs.

For a detailed list of department policies and requirement regarding courses taken abroad that might count toward the major, click here


Courses taken abroad must fit into a department that exists at Wesleyan. The Office of Study Abroad records these courses in a student's academic history. Students wishing to take courses in departments that do not exist at Wesleyan, such as business or education, must secure departmental approval in order to have these courses count toward graduation. Additionally, all students wishing to take courses in Studio Art, whether or not they intend to count this credit toward the major, must secure prior approval by the Studio Art program. Approval will not always be possible with courses in fields not taught at Wesleyan, or with some types of Studio Art courses, so advance planning is recommended. 


Grades for study abroad are reported on the Wesleyan transcript and they are factored into the student's overall GPA. All courses must be taken in the graded mode (A-F) unless this option is unavailable. For some foreign universities, a conversion scale is used, so the grades appearing on the foreign university's transcript are not always the same as what finally appears on the Wesleyan transcript.

All courses on the transcript from the study abroad program must be posted to the Wesleyan transcript, unless they are not eligible to receive credit. This means that the program's or host university's add/drop dates and policies apply, rather than Wesleyan's. Be aware that these add/drop dates may be significantly earlier than Wesleyan's, and Wesleyan is not able to drop a course from a study abroad transcript.

A+ grades earned abroad will be posted to the Wesleyan transcript as A grades.


Many American institutions and programs use the “semester hour” system. Four (4.0) semester hours of coursework taken in this system are equivalent to one (1.0) credit in the Wesleyan system. Wesleyan students enrolled under the semester-hour system must therefore enroll in 15-16 semester hours of instruction in order to meet the required 4 Wesleyan credits (full load) of instruction abroad. This sometimes means taking five or more courses to equal four Wesleyan credits.


Students enrolling directly at a university abroad should be aware that there is considerable variation in the weighting of courses, not only from institution to institution but sometimes between schools or colleges within a single institution. In such cases, questions regarding equivalencies will be addressed on an individual basis. It should be noted that, for programs which include a language course, full weight is always given to that course. To the extent possible, we try to give full credit for courses that will earn major credit as well.


See our Summer Study Abroad page for more information.


Requests to satisfy general education expectations with courses abroad must be submitted in writing, along with the relevant course description and syllabus, to the Office of Study Abroad, either pre-departure or post-return, no later than mid-term of the semester in which they return to the Wesleyan Campus or when the transcript is received, whichever is later.  The OSA will review and approve the GenEd designations upon receipt of the request.  The OSA will attach documentation of this approval to the transcript from abroad, once it is received.  The Registrar's Office staff will post the course and GenEd designation upon receipt of the transcript and supporting documents.


Study on a program abroad does not satisfy Wesleyan’s residency requirement. The residency requirements for Wesleyan students are as follows:
      • Six semesters for first-year entrants
      • Five semesters for first-semester sophomore transfers
      • Four semesters for second-semester sophomore transfers


Extracurricular internships

An extracurricular internship abroad can offer a meaningful tool for cultural immersion.   Such internships are customarily administered through the on-site program staff.  Students interested in this experience should contact the office abroad.

Internships for credit

Wesleyan students have two options for earning transfer credit for internships abroad:

  1. If the department from which a student wishes to receive credit for the internship offers an Education in the Field course (see Wesleyan's course catalog for more information), students may get the internship pre-approved by the department for an appropriate level of credit.
  2. Alternatively, students can earn .25 for an internship that entails at least 40 hours total (not per week), and they can count credit from up to two internships (only) toward graduation. This type of internship is graded CR/U and receives CSPL credit. Internships must be pre-approved by the Office of Study Abroad (, contain an academic component such as a paper or group project, and appear on the transcript from the program or institution.

Please note that when an internship is part of a study abroad program and appears on the study abroad transcript from the program or host institution, the credit is transfer credit and the student does not need to enroll in the internship course at Wesleyan. A department or advisor may require a student to show work, papers, or other evidence for final approval.