IX. Appendix D – Service Requirement
A minimum of forty hours of service work is required. This requirement can be fulfilled in one of two ways:
1) Two semesters of volunteer service coordinated through the Office of Community Service and Volunteerism:
- Service hours should be at least 2 hours per week for a minimum of 10 weeks per semester;
- Service requirement should be completed through an approved agency (students to see the OCS director for approval); any organizations listed through the OCS web site are deemed appropriate;
- In principle, the 40 hours of service work should be with the same agency/organization so as to develop depth of understanding;
- Work-study hours are not considered to be volunteer service hours;
- Any required service, either for a service-learning course or a community-service sanction, will not count towards the certificate requirements.
2) Off-campus volunteer service:
This volunteer experience could be a week or two of working with a non-Wesleyan aid organization, such as Habitat for Humanity, The American Red Cross, or the Kibera School for Girls.
Prior approval of the program and planned volunteer activities must be granted by the Office of Community Service and Volunteerism.