Mansfield Freeman Center Guidelines for Summer Language Support
Limited funds from the Mansfield Freeman Center for East Asian Studies (FEAS) are available to assist students who wished to accelerate heir language training by taking an intensive summer course. Application forms are available here:
Please print out the application form, and deliver the following to Ann Gertz in the FEAS Center by Monday, January 27, 2014.
- Completed application
- Up-date "unofficial" copy of your transcript
- If you have not studied Japanese, Chinese, or Korean at Wesleyan previously, please have a Wesleyan faculty member who knows you well send a letter of recommendation to Ms. Gertz.
The following prerequisites and priorities have been established:
1. The summer course must be intensive, equivalent to two Wesleyan semesters.
2. We regret that we will not be able to fund all requests this year. Our determination of who shall receive the grants will be based on over-all academic record and specific performance in language classes. Our determination of the level of support to award will be based on several criteria. If you receive an award, the amount will be determined as follows:
Category Description Award
One Major or first-year and receiving financial 90%-100%
Two Major or first-year, non-financial 75%-80%
Three Non-major or first- year $2500
For these purposes, a major is a junior East Asian Studies major or a sophomore planning on declaring the major who is enrolled in EAST 201, Pro Seminar. "Financial aid" does not include those on need-blind scholarships like
the Freeman Asia Scholarships.
3. Please note that neither graduating seniors, nor students who have previously received funding from FEAS for summer language study, are eligible to receive funds this year.
4. After the summer study, recipients must continue their study of Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. (if available) at Wesleyan or in a Wesleyan approved program.
5. Finally, you are required to provide a one-page report to the Director, Mansfield Freeman Center for East Asian Studies, upon completion of the summer study program.