[WesMaps Home Page] [Course Search] [Course Search by CID]
Johan C. Varekamp
- MAAE, Wesleyan University, 1996
- PhD, Utrecht University, 1979
- MS, Utrecht University, 1975
- BS, Utrecht University, 1971
I will be teaching Mineralogy and associated lab class during the fall of 2012. I plan to be on sabbatical during the spring of 2013 at the University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Harold T. Stearns Professor of Earth Science Office - Exley 451
Professor in Environmental Studies
Adjunct Professor in Latin American Studies
|office tel: 860 685 2248
office fax: 860 685 3651
My research field is Geochemistry, with applications in a wide variety of geologic directions. Most of my work is analytical, with extensive field work for sample collection, and I make some diversions into modelling. I oversee facilities for the analyses of waters and rocks, including XRF (a new XRF is active at Wesleyan since summer 2011), XRD, ICP-AES (PE-Plasma400-currently broken, to be replaced in summer 2012 by a Leeman ICP-AES), IC (a 2001 Dionex 600), and Hg by dedicated AAS (including a 2002 Milestone Hg analyzer and PSA-Merlin fluorescence analyzer). The university maintains an SEM with analytical facility. We have a LICOR infra-red CO2
analyzer, which we are running for atmospheric CO2
-monitoring and in experiments on CO2
absorption kinetics for my climate class.
I have an interest in the application of the sciences in society and I was one of the initiators of the Environmental Studies Certificate Program at Wesleyan University, which has now evolved into the College for the Environment, headed by the Schumann Professor in Environmental Studies, Dr. Barry Chernoff.
I can usally be found in my office or labs, or at the coffee maker. My favourite colleague and collaborator (and spouse) is Ellen Thomas; she moved in 2006 to the Center for the Study of Global Change at Yale University, New Haven, CT (http://ethomas.web.wesleyan.edu/)
Harold T. Stearns (Wesleyan class of '21) served for 16 years as the district geologist of the US Geological Survey in Hawaii. He wrote the book "Geology of the State of Hawaii" (1966, pp. 266, Pacific Books, Publishers, Palo Alto, CA) and later wrote "Memoirs of a Geologist - from poverty peak to piggery gulch" (1983, pp. 242, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, HI). He donated generously to his alma mater and I am proud to have an endowed chair named in his honor.
My vitae can be found under JCV-CV and my link to Google Scholar is http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=g3hP-1EAAAAJ&hl=en
A list of publications by topic can be found under PUBLICATIONS.
AAAAch 5 rev JCV feb 18 no figs.doc
Slight diversions into Dutch history (Adriaen Block), and climate and beavers... (pdf file)
Summer 2012: ~2150 citations, h-index:27
November 2001, cover of Geology magazine from Copahue, Argentina
- June, 2002, National Public Radio broadcasted nationwide a segment in its Earth & Sky program on our Mercury pollution studies in Connecticut related to hat making : http://www.earthsky.org/radioshows/45811/mercury-mystery
- October, 2002 - The Hartford Courant published a frontpage article on our 'hatmaking-Hg pollution' work
- November 2002 Chicago Tribune, second page article on “Mercury issues from old industries”
- September 2003 New York Times “ Muckrakers discover history in Long Island Sound”
- March 15, 2004 - Newsday 'Fate of mercury in Long Island Sound'
- October, 2004 - Public television (CPTV) broadcasted a program on 'Energy and Environmental issues' where I made my first east coast TV appearance
- November 2004 - The New York Times gave an account (November 2004) on our project on Hg uptake and release by genetically modified cottonwood plants.
- November 2004 - The 6th CVL workshop on Volcanic Lakes, co-organized by me in Argentina, went without a hitch.
- July 2005 - National Geographic Magazine published an excerpt of my work on Copahue volcano in their article "Water on Mars".
- October 2006, Hartford Courant, article on Merapi volcano, Indonesia.
- November 2006, NPR interview on global warming and sea level rise
- April 2007 - Hartford Courant. Three page article for earth day on Long Island Sound Studies (mainly Ellen Thomas, little bit JCV)
- Theater performance "Quicksilver", gas and electric arts theater company, Philadelphia, PA on hatmaking and Hg; http://www.gasandelectricarts.org
- Article on 'oil reserves and production' in "Hartford Business Journal", December 31, 2007
- The second "Volcanic Lakes" special issue of JVGR appeared in November 2008 (eds Varekamp and VanBergen)
- I was the 'Meierjurgen Faculty Fellow' at the University of Oregon in Eugene, OR during fall 2009 (Go Ducks!)
- The special issue on Continental Margin Volcanism in memory ofour friend James Luhr was published in November 2010
- I was a Fellow in the Wesleyan University College of the Environment, Think Tank theme: Waters Past - Waters future
- Front page article on Mercury in Wethersfield Cove near Hartford, CT in the Hartford Courant, October 2011.
To send E-Mail to Johan Varekamp: email@example.com
Return to Earth and Environmental Science Home Page
Last Updated MAR-04-1998
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to submit comments or suggestions.
Copyright Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, 06459