If your Student Aid Report (SAR) indicates that you have been selected for verification you must submit a verification worksheet and provide IRS Income Verification to our office.
IRS Income Verification can be obtained in two different ways; one being the IRS Data Retrieval process through FAFSA (which is the quickest way to get your IRS Income Verification to us) or you can request a Tax Transcript through the IRS, which can be a lengthier process. Because of this difference in processing time, Wesleyan strongly recommends utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval option.
If you haven’t completed your taxes yet, you will not be able to use Data Retrieval until you do.
In the event that you have filed your federal tax return electronically at least two weeks prior to today or submitted your paper return 6-8 weeks prior to today, you may be eligible use the IRS Data Retrieval tool. This process will pull your prior year tax information directly into your FAFSA, which would fulfill the IRS Income Verification. This does not replace the Federal 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ tax return requirement(s) for Wesleyan. If you or your parents were not required to file a tax return, when completing the Verification Worksheet, please report this under Step 3 and/or 4.
- Verification Worksheet (click here)
- Provide Financial information to our office
Option 1- IRS Data Retrieval into FAFSA
Families who would like to retrieve their IRS Data automatically through FAFSA, please visit www.fafsa.ed.gov and make a correction to your FAFSA.
Please note recently widowed, separated, married filed separately, divorced parents that were
required to file a joint return, or a 1040X filer (Amended Tax Return) are NOT eligible to do the
IRS Data Retrieval.
Option 2-Tax Transcripts
Visit www.irs.gov and “Order a Tax Return Transcript or Tax Account Transcript” for 2011 to request online or by mail, or call 1-800-908-9946. When ordering the tax transcript be sure to use Form 4506-T "Request for Transcript of Tax Return".
- If you filed an Amended a Federal Tax Return, then we will also need to request a Tax Account Transcript. Please note this process can take up to 30 days.
- Mailed requests can be sent directly to a third party by the IRS. You may list our school as a third party; our mailing address is Wesleyan Financial Aid Office, 237 High Street, Middletown, CT 06549.
- Telephone requests are not available for Amended Returns.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the on-line request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.