• Verification Process


    If have been notified by our office or your Student Aid Report (SAR) indicates that you have been selected for verification you must submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office. 

    The Federal Verification requirements may be different for each student.  All students selected for Verification will need to complete the Verification Worksheet Requirement.  Most students and parents will also need to complete the IRS INCOME VERIFICATION REQUIREMENT as noted below.  Other students may need to follow a different set of instructions below depending on the type of Federal Verification.  

    Step One

    Verification Worksheet

    Please be sure to fill out pages 3 and 4 of the Verification Worksheet.

    Step Two

    If you filed a tax return in 2016:

    IRS Income Verification

    IRS Tax Transcripts 

    IRS Income Verification can be provided by submitting a copy of the 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript. Married tax filers with separate returns must provide transcripts for both spouses. Tax transcripts are available from the IRS free of charge. You will need to provide identifying information including: tax filing status, Social Security Number and date of birth of the first person listed on the income tax return, and the address on file with the IRS (Typically this will be the address used on the 2016 income tax return).  Be sure to choose Return Transcript when selecting the transcript type.  More information is available at www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.

    • To request an electronic transcript to print or download online: Visit www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript to register for immediate access to your tax transcript online. To protect your tax information, you will need to provide additional information to verify your identity.
    • To request a transcript delivered by mail: There are three options for requesting a copy of your tax transcript be sent by mail. 1) Request a transcript by mail online at www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript, 2) Call the transcript request automated phone system at 800-908-9946, or 3) Submit Form 4506-T (available at www.irs.gov) to the IRS by mail or fax. If you choose this option you may request that the IRS send your Tax Transcript directly to the Wesleyan Financial Aid Office as a third party. However, we recommend that you also have a copy for your own records.

    If you did not file a tax return in 2016:

    Verification of Non-filing

    An individual who did not file a 2016 income tax return with the IRS must provide a Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS or other relevant tax authority dated on or after October 1, 2016.

    To request an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter: Follow the instructions provided above for Option 2-IRS Tax Transcripts, choosing Verification of Non-filing when selecting the transcript type. 

    Non-filers must also complete the applicable sections of the Verification Worksheet.

    Unusual Income Verification Circumstances:

    IRS Income Tax Return Information for Individuals with Unusual Circumstances

    •  Amended Tax Return Filers (1040X). If an individual filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2016, provide both of the following: A 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript for the 2016 tax year; and a signed copy of the 2016 IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.
    • Filing Extension Filed (4868): If an individual is required to file a 2016 IRS income tax return and has been granted a filing extension by the IRS, provide the following documents: A copy of the IRS Form 4868, ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ that was filed with the IRS for tax year 2016; and a copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for tax year 2016 and, if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s AGI and the U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2016.
    • Victims of IRS Identity Theft: A victim of IRS identity theft who has been unable to obtain a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript or unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool must provide a signed copy of the 2016 paper IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS and a signed copy of IRS Form 14039 “Identity Theft Affidavit” if one was submitted to the IRS. If the individual did not keep a copy of Form 14039 or the IRS did not require him or her to submit one, he or she may provide one of the following:  1) a statement signed and dated by the individual indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS identity theft and that the IRS is investigating the matter. The statement must also indicate that the individual submitted a Form 14039 to the IRS, but did not keep a copy of it or that he or she was not required to file the form; or 2) a copy of a police report if it was filed related to the IRS identify theft.
    • Filed Non-IRS Income Tax Returns If an individual filed or will file a 2016 income tax return with Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory (e.g., Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Marianas Islands), or with a foreign country, provide a signed copy of that 2016 income tax return(s).


    If you are unable to obtain any of the required documentation listed above, please contact the financial aid office for assistance.

    Verification Statement of Educational Purpose 

    Please be sure to fill out the Verification Statement of Educational Purpose. The statement must be completed and signed in the presence of either a Wesleyan Financial Aid Administrator or a Notary Public. You must also show an original, valid, government-issued photo identification (driver’s license, non-driver’s license, or passport) in the presence of either a Wesleyan Financial Aid Administrator or a Notary Public so they can make a copy of it. 

    Verification of High School Completion Status 

    Provide one of the following documents to indicate the student's high school completion status as of the time the student will begin college in 2017-18, if you have not already submitted this documentation to the Admissions Office.
      • A copy of the student's high school diploma; OR
      • A copy of the student's final official high school transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded; OR
      • Secondary school leaving certificate for students who completed secondary education in foreign country and unable to get copy of high school diploma/transcript OR

    Recognized Equivalent of a High School Diploma

      • A copy of the student's General Educational Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript; OR
      • An academic transcript that indicates the student successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree; OR
      • Student excelled academically in HS and met all criteria to be admitted into a two-year degree program or higher

    Test transcripts of State-authorized examinations

      • Test transcripts of State-authorized examinations (e.g., GED test, HiSET, TASC, or other State-authorized high school equivalency examinations) are acceptable documentation of high school completion only if:
        • The official test transcript specifically indicates that a State has determined that the test results are considered by the State to meet its requirements of high school equivalency; OR
        • The official test transcript includes language that the final score is a passing score


      • Credential, transcript, or the equivalent, signed by the parent or guardian, that lists the secondary school courses completed by the applicant and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education; OR
      • A secondary school completion credential for home school provided for under State law
  • Noncustodial Waiver Petition

    Noncustodial Waiver Petition

    Wesleyan adheres to the principal that both biological parents have the primary responsibility for providing reasonable financial support to fund their child’s cost of education at Wesleyan University.  Wesleyan financial aid is provided to meet any shortfall that exists when the family’s ability to contribute has been maximized.  Wesleyan does not consider whether a custodial or noncustodial parent is willing to contribute to his or her child’s education; instead, the Financial Aid Office collects financial information from both parents to evaluate the ability to contribute.  The financial need of students whose parents are divorced is calculated based upon the same principle followed in calculating the need of all other students:  both parents are jointly responsible for the college expenses of their children to the extent of the family ability.  Consideration is made for expenses like child support, separate households and blended families.  

    Wesleyan University recognizes that extenuating circumstances in individual cases may make it impossible to obtain information from a noncustodial parent.  If the noncustodial parent’s whereabouts are unknown, if there has been extremely limited or no contact with the noncustodial parent for a significant period of time, or if there are other extenuating circumstances, the collection of noncustodial financial information may be waived.  Students/families with these circumstances may petition to waive the collection of noncustodial information in the financial aid process.  Please review the Noncustodial Parent Waiver Petition for more information.  Note:  a letter from a third party (other than a family member, family friend or attorney) who can verify the amount of contact a child has had with the noncustodial parent is required.

  • Permission to Share

    Permission to Share

    This form is required if student's want to authorize our office to speak about their financial aid application with anyone other than the biological parents.