Graduate Studies Header

The Office of Graduate Student Services is open Monday through Thursday, 8:30am- 5pm.  The University will observe summer hours by closing the office at noon on the following Fridays: June 26, July 3 (closed for holiday), July 10, July17, July24, July 31 and August 7, 2015.


New Student Information

Welcome incoming students for the Fall of 2014!  The New Student Information packet contains important information that will help you with a smooth transition to the graduate program at Wesleyan.   If you have any questions about the contents of the packet, please contact Cheryl-Ann Hagner, Director of Graduate Student Services, at or Barbara Schukoske, Administrative Assistant V, at

To review your new student packet, please click on the link below:

New Student Information Packet Fall

New BA/MA Student Information Packet Fall

New Student Information Packet Spring


Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is the easiest way to get to Wesleyan from an airport? 

A:  The airport closest to Wesleyan is Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut. 

From Bradley International Airport, Hartford, CT:  Take a taxi to Wesleyan.  It is important to reserve a taxi in advance.  Executive 2000 is the service most often used. 

Executive 2000
(860) 635-8222

From JFK International Airport:  Take a train to New Haven CT, Old Saybrook CT, or Meriden CT and then take a taxi to Wesleyan.  Note:  We do not recommend the Meriden Train Station -- it is remote, without services, and closed on Sunday.  The train stops at an empty platform.  Although it is the closest, it is difficult to manage.


Some current graduate students report that Wisla Express, a private airport transportation service, provides reliable door-to-door pick up and delivery.   You must call in advance to reserve,  860 229-7798.


For additional information on area transportation:


Q.  Am I allowed to live in non-university housing?

A. Yes.


Q.  When will I receive my housing assignment if I've applied to live in university housing?

A.  New graduate students will be notified via email from Residential Life in mid-June that you have an assignment and the type of housing you  will receive (apartment, group house, furnished, unfurnished).  You will be sent your assignment (address and room number) the first week in August.


Q.  If I live in university housing, do I need to pay the first month's rent when I pick up the key?

A.  No.  Rent is automatically deducted from the stipend paycheck for students who receive a stipend.  Students not receiving a stipend receive a charge against their student account and are responsible for writing a check and delivering it to the Finance office.

Q.  Does graduate housing close during academic breaks?

A. Graduate housing remains open during all academic breaks.  Many graduate students remain on campus to continue with their research.


Q.  What is the process for auditing a class?

A.  The process for auditing courses is somewhat informal in that you would not actually register for the course.  You would approach an instructor (via email), express your interest in auditing the course and ask for permission to audit.  At the end of the term, the instructor must then send an email to the Registrar's office asking them to post an audit to your record. 


Q.  When can I apply for a social security number?

A. You may apply for a social security number after you have received your first paycheck from Wesleyan.  You will receive the application form and instructions during Orientation. 

Q.  Do graduate students follow the same class and exam schedule as undergraduate students? 

A.  Graduate classes and exams follow the same schedule as undergraduate classes and exams.  If you are taking classes, it is recommended that you not schedule travel until after the end of the exam period. 

Q.  How can I get a Connecticut Driver's License? 

A. Driver’s license information can be found at the web site for the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. 

Here is a link to information for International Driver Permits:   

Here is a link to requirements for Non-US Citizens:  It is not possible to get a driver’s license on campus.