Immunization Requirements for ALL incoming Students
Please note that Connecticut state law requires that all full-time and matriculating students (undergraduate and graduate) born after December 31, 1956, provide proof of adequate immunization against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella as recommended by the Advisory Committee of Immunization Practices (ACIP) prior to student enrollment at the university. A copy of the statute is available at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/spec-grps/college.htm.
1) Proof of immunity to Measles (Rubeola), Mumps and Rubella (German Measles) - please provide proof of one of the following if born after December 31, 1956:
a) Two measles, mumps, rubella (or MMR) immunizations (first dose after age 12 months; the second dose at least 28 days after dose #1), OR
b) Documentation of positive measles, mumps and rubella titers (blood test), OR
c) Documentation of date of measles, mumps or rubella disease by your health care provider
2) Proof of immunity to Chicken Pox (Varicella) – please provide proof of one of the following if born after January 1, 1980:
a) Two varicella immunizations (first dose after age 12 months; the second dose at least 28 days after dose #1), OR
b) Documentation of positive varicella titer (blood test), OR
c) Documentation of date of varicella disease by your health care provider
3) Proof of Meningococcal immunization
a) Connecticut state law requires that each undergraduate and graduate students who resides in on-campus housing provide proof of immunization against meningitis.
b) Wesleyan University strongly recommends immunization within the last 5 years with MCV4 (e.g., Menactra® or Menveo®). Immunization with MPSV4 (e.g., Menomune) more than 5 years ago should be updated with MCV4.
4) Proof of screening of Tuberculosis (TB) is required of all students. Domestic students need to complete the “Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire and Testing” that is part of the health history form (see page 5). Domestic students who answer “yes” to any questions, will need to have a TB test if deemed appropriate by your healthcare provider.
Acceptable TB tests include:
a) Mantoux (PPD) skin test or
b) Quantiferon Gold or T-Spot blood tests
If your TB test is positive, or if you have had a positive TB test in the past, you will need a chest x-ray. We accept chest x-rays completed within the past 6 months. The radiology report must be attached in order for the university to accept the x-ray results.
Tuberculosis (TB) risk screening is also required ofinternational students entering from countries where TB is endemic (see list page 6 on the medical health forms). TB screening and testing of international students will be done at Wesleyan Health Center during orientation. International students who have received BCG immunization are not exempt from the requirements for TB screening and testing.
5) Proof of Tetanus-diptheria vaccination
All Other Students
Medical providers should review the TB risk assessment questions on page 5 on the medical health form and place a TB skin test (ppd/Mantoux) ONLY if risk factors are present.
6) Tetanus-diphtheria (Td or Tdap): booster within 10 years
7) Meningitis: Connecticut law requires that each undergraduate and graduate student who resides in on-campus housing be vaccinated against meningitis as a condition of residence.