International FAQ

  • How does a Wesleyan education prepare students for life after graduation?
    • The broad liberal arts education provided by Wesleyan enables students to develop certain habits of mind and critical and analytical thinking skills that serve them well after graduation, be it in the working world or in graduate school. Three out of four Wesleyan students pursue graduate work after college--many at the most elite programs.

      Wesleyan places value on interdisciplinary study and encourages students to explore subjects from a number of perspectives. This is just one of the reasons Wesleyan graduates are known for their creative approaches to problems that matter.

  • How international is Wesleyan's student body?
    • Wesleyan boasts a vibrant and sizeable international community. Of approximately 2,900 undergraduates on campus, about 8 percent attend on F-1 and J-1 student visas. The newest class, Class of 2017, is the most international class that Wesleyan has ever admitted. Additionally, about half of the approximately 200 graduate students on campus come from other countries. These international students together represent nearly 50 different countries (See a country list here).
  • What is the international alumni network like?
    • Wesleyan alumni can be found in more than 80 other countries all around the world. (See a list of countries here). Established and informal alumni groups in many areas--including England, France, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan--keep Wesleyan graduates connected to each other and the university by creating both concrete and virtual spaces for socializing and networking. 

      Visit the Alumni page to read about prominent alumni abroad.

  • Where is Wesleyan located?
    • Wesleyan is located in Middletown, a mid-sized city situated in central Connecticut along the Connecticut River. It is about 170 km from New York City and 185 km from Boston--about a two-hour drive to either city. The nearest airport, Bradley International Airport, is located in Windsor Locks, about 48 km or a 40-minute drive from campus.

  • What are the annual fees to attend?
    • For the 2013-14 academic year, tuition will be $46,674 for all students. Total student charges, including residential fees and the student activity fee, will be $59,884 for freshmen and sophomores, and $61,654 for juniors and seniors. More information is available here.
  • Does Wesleyan offer financial aid for international students?
    • Wesleyan offers financial aid to a limited number of international students entering the freshman class based on financial need.
  • Can international students work on campus? Can they work off campus?
    • International students may work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session. During breaks, students are allowed to work full-time hours.

      Students are permitted to work off campus with work authorization. See Janice Watson in the Office of International Student Affairs for assistance.

  • How can international students get help with immigration issues?
  • When must students decide on an academic field in which to specialize?
    • Like many American colleges and universities, Wesleyan requires students to select a major in their second year. This gives students time to explore a number of fields before focusing in depth on one or two areas of academic study.
  • What types of study abroad opportunities does Wesleyan offer students?
    • Wesleyan sends more than 300 students to study abroad in 45 different countries every year. About half of all students spend a semester or a year abroad during their undergraduate experience. Wesleyan sponsors four study abroad programs--in Paris, France; Regensburg, Germany; Bologna, Italy; and Madrid, Spain--and approves about 150 programs sponsored by other universities.

      Learn more about study abroad opportunities through the Office of International Studies.

  • What are Wesleyan's policies regarding Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and A-Levels?
    • Wesleyan accepts a limited number of credits from AP, IB and A-Level courses taken during high school. See the Registrar's website for more detailed information. Students may also consult their faculty advisors with individual questions.
  • Does Wesleyan offer classes in English as a second language?
    • ESL courses are not available. However, Wesleyan does offer classes with a cross-cultural focus geared toward non-native English speakers.
  • What kind of academic support is available for students?
    • Each student is assigned a faculty advisor, who helps select courses and deal with any academic questions or issues students may encounter. The Associate Dean of International Student Affairs also provides academic counseling and other support specifically for international students. Class Deans oversee the academic progress of students, and assist if there are problems--academic and otherwise. Class Deans follow a class cohort for its full four years at Wesleyan.

      Student Academic Resources Network (SARN) is a loose network of programs providing academic support. It includes a writing workshop (with writing tutor and writing mentor programs), a math workshop, and an Office of Disability Services, which provides accommodations to students with physical or learning disabilities.

  • Do parents receive a copy of their student's grades?
    • That is up to the student. Parents will only receive a copy of their student's grades if the student specifically requests that we send them. Wesleyan is required to follow this protocol under U.S. privacy laws.
  • Are there opportunities for international students to interact in informal settings with others like them?
    • Wesleyan is home to 54 different student organizations with an "international" focus. Many of these are "identity groups," through which students from a particular country or region--or those interested in learning about and celebrating that country or region--can take part in cultural activities. Other groups focus on art, music, or athletics found in other parts of the world, or organize students in service work abroad. A complete list of groups can be found here.
  • What kinds of dining options are available?
    • Meals are served daily at a number of locations on campus, with the main dining facilities at the Usdan University Center. Kosher, Halal, vegetarian and vegan options are available at all meals. Read more about Wesleyan's Dining Services here.

      Downtown Middletown has a robust restaurant scene, including a number of restaurants specializing in international cuisines.

  • What are the living accommodations?
    • Virtually all students at Wesleyan live on campus throughout their four years. Typically, freshmen and many sophomores live in large dormitories, all of which are co-ed. Wesleyan does offer some single-sex floors. Upperclassmen typically live in smaller, on-campus "program houses" organized around a particular interest, or in apartments or wood frame houses.
  • Do residence halls close over break, and where can international students stay?
    • Residence halls are closed during the summer holiday, although there is some campus housing available for students staying for the summer to work or do research. All international students can remain on campus for the winter break; the Office of International Student Affairs will help them arrange housing if their regular residence is closed. All residence halls remain open for all of the shorter breaks.
  • What transportation is available to students?
    • Wesleyan's Transportation Services Department offers shuttle transportation to and from Bradley International Airport for major university breaks; a shuttle to New Haven every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday; and a van service to transport students safely around campus after dark.

      The Wesleyan Student Assembly offers detailed information about available transportation around Middletown and the region here.

  • Can international students obtain a Connecticut driver's license?
    • Full-time students on a valid student visa who maintain an out-of-country residency are permitted to use their valid out-of-country license here in Connecticut when it's accompanied by an International Driver Permit obtained from the home country. It is necessary to have both in order to drive in the U.S., unless the out-of-country license was originated in Canada, Germany or France. If students do not have an International Driver Permit, they may obtain a Connecticut driver's license. Students must have a valid U.S. driver's license to drive Wesleyan vehicles or the rental cars available on campus through ZipCar. Students may contact Janice Watson in the Office of International Student Affairs for assistance.
  • What kind of physical and mental health resources are available for students?
    • The Davison Health Center, located on campus, provides a range of health services for students, including sick visits, allergy and immunization services, and specialty clinics in a number of areas. During the academic year, a health care professional is on call 24 hours a day. In addition, mental health care providers at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are specifically trained to deal with the types of issues that college-aged students tend to encounter. They provide individual and group therapy.
  • Does Wesleyan offer health insurance to students?
    • Wesleyan requires all students to maintain health insurance coverage annually. During the summer before their freshman year, all students receive information on the Gallagher Koster insurance plan offered by Wesleyan. They must either enroll in the insurance plan (fees will appear on the student's account) or submit proof of private insurance based in the U.S. (submissions can be made online). For more information, visit Health Service's "Insurance & Fees" page.
  • How is the Wesleyan campus kept safe?
    • The Public Safety Office provides 24-hour security patrols on campus. It works closely with the Middletown Police Department to ensure a safe campus environment. Wesleyan also provides a van service to transport students safely around campus after dark.