Welcome to the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
Looking for a unique holiday gift for a special person in your life: Adopt a Book!
Coming soon: Our calendar of spring events -- Check back in January to find out about our Annual Meeting speaker, a reading by a new library author, exhibits at Special Collections & Archives and other events.
The library newsletter Check It Out has an exciting new look! Email email@example.com if you would like to be added to our mailing list.
Looking for ways to support the library? Join the Friends! And you might be particularly interested in sponsoring one or more of the following focus points for the spring:
- the conservation of rare books through the Adopt a Book Program,
- addition to an archival collection of oral histories of retired Wesleyan faculty
- a creative fellowship program for students for research in Special Collections & Archives.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Click here to see a listing of Friends events from Fall 2014 (David Rabban '71's Constitution Day lecture. Annual Book Sale, lecture and exhibit by book artist Angela Lorenz)
About the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
The Friends of the Wesleyan Library is a community of readers dedicated to celebrating and enjoying books of all kinds from vellum bound manuscripts to humble paperbacks to the latest digital innovation. The Friends raise funds to support the library's important work and activities including:
- Lectures, workshops, symposia, and exhibitions
- Consitution Day speakers
- The Adaptation Series - a collaboration with Wesleyan's Center for Film Studies
- Exhibitions in collaboration with the Davison Art Center and Center for the Arts
- Upcoming and Past Events
- Cataloging of hidden (currently inaccessible) collections
- Special preservation projects
- Publication of Check-it-Out, the library newsletter
Benefits of membership in the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
In addition to the satisfaction that comes from supporting the vital services of the library, members of the Friends of the Wesleyan Library also enjoy the following special privileges:
- Invitations to Friends-sponsored events
- Free special borrower privileges at the Wesleyan library
- Check It Out – published three times each year
The Friends of the Wesleyan Library offer six levels of annual membership.
Fall 2013 Events
- "Love in the Time of War" -- Poetry reading by Yusef Komunyakaa -- September 11, 2013 -- 8:00 pm -- Russell House.
- Constitution Day Lecture: "Looking Backwards; Looking Forward: The Persistence of Race in Twenty-First Century American Life - Ted Shaw '76 -- September 17, 2013 7:30 pm -- Smith Reading Room, Olin Library.
- Friends Book Sale -- Saturday, November 2, 2013 -- 10 am - 4 pm -- Olin Library. 3000+ donated and ex libris books.
- Adaptation Film Series: "Almayer's Folly" -- December 4, 2013 -- 8:00 pm -- Goldsmith Family Cinema.
- The Friends of the Wesleyan Library are excited to offer an Adopt a Book Program. Give a personal and memorable present or a lasting tribute to a loved one by adopting a book which needs conservation treatment from the Wesleyan Collection. It's the perfect present for a booklover!
- Visit the Friends ongoing book sale, on the shelves outside Smith Reading Room, Olin Library. Most books are priced $2-$3. Book donations for future sales are always welcome. Contact email@example.com or call (860) 685-3897.