Welcome to the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
Friday, September 16, 2016 -- Constitution Day Lecture by Middletown Mayor Dan Drew -- "Are We Better Than Our Predecessors? Toward a New Era of Progress" -- 5:30 pm -- Smith Reading Room, Olin Memorial Library
Friday, October 28, 2016 -- Talk by photographer Nancy Ottman Albert (MALS '94) on her exhibit "Documents in Black and White" -- 7:00 pm -- Develin Room, Ooin Memorial Library
Saturday, October 29, 2016 -- Annual Book Sale -- during Wesleyan's Family Weekend -- 10 am-4 pm -- Olin Memorial Library Lobby.
Saturday, November 5, 2016 -- New York City Grolier Exhibit and Print Fair Tour. Organized by the Friends of the Davison Art Center and the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
- Exhibit: “A Stellar Education: Astronomy at Wesleyan, 1831-1916” -- May 3 - October 2016, during library hours ▪ Special Collections & Archives exhibit cases. - An exhibition that explores how the study of astronomy developed from the founding of the university in 1831 through the construction of Van Vleck Observatory in 1916, which celebrates its 100th anniversary this year.
Click here for more details about Friends events.
Special Book Sale and other ways to support the Friends of the library
The Friends are offering for sale to the Wesleyan community a selection of better quality and collectible books that have been donated to raise money to support special events and projects at the library. Click here to see the full list. If you would like to purchase any of the titles, please email Jennifer Hadley at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for viewing, purchase, and pick-up. There is no shipping service available.
Looking for other unique gifts or to honor or thank a special person? Additional ways to support the library in your gift giving include the Adopt a Book Program and gift memberships. Both are tax deductible. Thank you for generous support!
To support the in-depth resources that the library provides for campus research and creative projects, please join the Friends!
If you, too, are passionate about research, learning, and books, you may want to sponsor a special projects, such as
- the conservation of rare books through the Adopt a Book Program
- digitization of highly used archival collections
- addition to an archival collection of oral histories of retired Wesleyan faculty
- a creative fellowship program for students for research in Special Collections & Archives.
Email us at email@example.com for more information, to volunteer, or to receive a print copy of the library newsletter.
About the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
The Friends of the Wesleyan Library is a community of readers dedicated to celebrating and enjoying books of all kinds from vellum bound manuscripts to humble paperbacks to the latest digital innovation. The Friends raise funds to support the library's important work and activities including:
- Lectures, workshops, symposia, and exhibitions
- Consitution Day speakers
- The Adaptation Series - a collaboration with Wesleyan's Center for Film Studies
- Exhibitions in collaboration with the Davison Art Center and Center for the Arts
- Upcoming and Past Events
- Cataloging of hidden (currently inaccessible) collections
- Special preservation projects
- Publication of Check-it-Out, the library newsletter
Benefits of membership in the Friends of the Wesleyan Library
In addition to the satisfaction that comes from supporting the vital services of the library, members of the Friends of the Wesleyan Library also enjoy the following special privileges:
- Invitations to Friends-sponsored events
- Free special borrower privileges at the Wesleyan library
- Check It Out – published three times each year
The Friends of the Wesleyan Library offer six levels of annual membership.