If the Wesleyan Library Catalog indicates that a book, journal, etc. is "available" but you cannot find it on the shelves where it is supposed to be
First, make sure you have found the correct call number location in the library stacks.
If you cannot find the item, please ask a librarian at the reference desk for assistance finding it.
The item may have been recently returned or used elsewhere in the library and not yet reshelved. Items waiting to be reshelved are placed on the shelves along the south wall in the center core stacks, either on floor 1 or on the floor where that call number range is found.
If it is a recently published book, it may be on the New Book shelves on the first floor in the west corridor (the Clark Hall side of the building) by the Interlibrary Loan office. Look in those locations first.
If you do not find the book in the reshelving areas or the New Book shelves, please submit a Search Request
- In the Library Catalog, find the record for the item you want (note: if you are on the "Results" screen [a list of one or more titles your search brings up], click the title to get to the record for the item you want).
- Select the "Request" option at the top of the screen.
- Log in with your Wesleyan ID number and last name.
- In the drop down menu of options, select the option for "Request Item in SC&A, Storage or Missing" and click "OK."
- In the "Comment" field, state that the book was not on the shelf and request to be notified if it is found.
- Enter your Wesleyan ID number again and click to "Submit Request."
- If and when the book is located, you will get an email stating that it is available at the Olin Library circulation desk.
Since there is no guarantee we will be able to find a missing book, also check the CTW Combined Catalog to see if Trinity or Conn College has a copy of the book available. If either does, place a CTW Book Request (use the "Request" option at the top of the screen) for their copy, and we will get their copy for you if we cannot find our own.
For items that are not in the online catalog
Some older items in our collection are listed only in the paper card catalog. If you cannot find a record for the item in the online catalog, please ask at the main circulation office in Olin Library or ask a reference librarian for assistance.