Graduate Liberal Studies at Wesleyan is committed to supporting all our students in their academic endeavors. Wesleyan provides services and reasonable accommodations to all students who need and have a legal entitlement to such accommodations, providing that the accommodations do not fundamentally alter the nature of a course or an institutional policy.
How to Request 504/ADA Accommodations:
- Make an appointment with Mary Kelly, Associate Director of Finance & Administrative Services, who administers Disabilities Services for GLS students, to establish a disabilities file and discuss your disability in the context of the academic setting.
- Submit current documentation of your disability and support for accommodations at the meeting. The documentation, based on the guidelines developed by the Connecticut Association on Higher Education and Disabilities, usually includes:
- Clear statement of the diagnosed disability;
- Complete educational, developmental, and medical history relevant to the disability;
- List of the names and versions of the diagnostic tests administered to determine the disability;
- Diagnostic summary with a brief composite of the entire assessment process, a description of the functional limitations, and an indication of how your disability will affect participation in GLS courses;
- Recommended strategies to assist you with becoming an efficient learner, and recommended accommodations that are appropriate for the disability;
- Date of the examination (must be current, with adult-referenced norms), along with the examiner's name, address, telephone number, and credentials with the signature of an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis.
- Speak with your instructor about your accommodations after you have received a copy of the accommodation letter.
- Request accommodations prior to each term in which you will require accommodations; new documentation is not usually required.
- Please allow sufficient time when requesting accommodations. The GLS and faculty may need time to arrange reasonable accommodations. We may not be able to, nor are we obligated to, honor last minute requests.
- Provisional accommodations for students who are in the process of acquiring or updating documentation may be granted for a single term.
- In addition to reasonable accommodations, a variety of assistive technologies is also available to help you with your academic goals. Please contact the Associate Director for more information.
- All disability-related information and documentation are considered confidential.
Mary Kelly, Associate Director for Finance & Administrative Services
E: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm