The Wesleyan McNair Fellows Program serves Juniors and Seniors who do research with a faculty mentor, and participate in program activities with their McNair cohort. The central component of the Fellows' experience is the 10 week summer period in residence on the Wesleyan campus combining the mentored research experience, presentations on professional and academic skills, graduate school visits and other cohort activities.
McNair Fellow activities include:
- Weekly meetings with McNair staff and faculty covering :
- Writing a research proposal abstract and outlining a thesis
- Fitting research time into a busy semester
- Presenting research at lab meetings and conferences
- GRE preparation
- Writing a statement of career purpose
- The graduate school application process
- Preparing for grad school interviews
- Peer review -- giving and receiving useful criticism
- Graduate school visits
- Spring research presentations given by McNair Fellows
McNair Fellows receive a stipend after successful completion of each semester's project, and can apply for summer financial support.