The BA/MA Program in Science at Wesleyan University
Qualified students can also receive a combined 5 year BA/MA degree in NS&B.
Wesleyan has long been praised for the quality of the original research that goes on within the walls of the Science Tower. Both the faculty and the students are engaged in projects that reflect the essence of innovative scientific research. Wesleyan is able to provide an outstanding training in science for two reasons. The first is an overall commitment by the University to maintain top facilities and laboratories. The second is the commitment by the faculty not only to engage in cutting-edge research, but to include students in this high level of research at an early stage in their scientific careers. This overall commitment to the sciences and learning has led to the creation of the BA/MA Program.
WHAT IS THE BA/MA PROGRAM?The BA/MA Program illustrates Wesleyan's strong commitment to science; we believe that the best way to learn science is to do scientific research. Wesleyan's faculty, facilities, and research support allow students majoring in science to receive a Bachelor's degree in four years and a Master's degree at the end of the fifth year. The Master's degree is tuition free. This program is particularly appropriate for students who wish to:
- strengthen understanding of a field of interest before continuing to a Ph.D. program. A year of close personal mentoring and laboratory group experience is valuable as preparation for a rigorous Ph.D. program.
- pursue industrial science. A Master's degree allows students to establish a strong position upon entrance into industrial science. In terms of salary, employees with the Master's degree earn approximately $10,000 or more per year over those possessing the Bachelor's degree.
- enter the field of teaching. Teaching qualifications are enhanced tremendously by completing the program. The MA, plus a year of experience engaged in collaborative research with a faculty member, opens up a range of possibilities from teaching science, to holding administrative positions in science education.
- strengthen preparation for medical school through an additional year of research and coursework, while taking advantage of Wesleyan's strong premedical advising program.
- to apply for the BA/MA Program: http://www.wesleyan.edu/grad/degree-programs/ba-ma.html
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- A student may earn a Bachelor's degree in four years and a Master's degree at the end of the fifth year while building a more solid professional background through courses, seminars and high level research.
- The opportunity to work closely with a faculty member on a significant research project.
- Tuition for the fifth year of the Master's degree is waived.
- Summer research grants are available in most disciplines.