Staying in Touch with Wesleyan
It is a good idea to stay in touch with several individuals and offices at Wesleyan while you are abroad:
1. Office of International Studies: we are happy to serve as your Information Desk for all kinds of questions about everything from culture shock to transfer of credit, from whether and how you can stay on for a second semester to how to arrange housing for your return.
2. Major Advisor: it’s a good idea to let this professor know about the academic side of your experience abroad. S/he is the contact for questions about major credit; be sure to copy Gail Winter, and have him/her do the same, on any correspondence about courses for which you will earn credit toward the major.
3. Thesis Advisor: if you are planning, or even considering, writing a senior thesis (or essay, or doing a senior project), it’s very important to keep this professor apprised of your thoughts about it while abroad. You may be doing archival research, fieldwork, or interviews abroad that relate to your project, or maybe you just want to bounce some ideas off him/her. Either way, staying in touch while abroad will make the academic part of your transition back to Wesleyan that much smoother.
4. Residential Life: You received information from the OIS about arranging housing for when you return; this is just a reminder to follow up with ResLife.
5. Financial Aid: It’s a good idea to touch base with the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about your financial aid package for the semester or year you are away, expectations for summer earnings, or applying for financial aid for the semester or year you return. (Don’t forget that on-campus deadlines also apply to those abroad, so be sure to get your paperwork in on time!)