Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 10:47 AM
Subject: Storm Updates
The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for all of Connecticut, with heavy snow and strong winds expected. The storm is expected to intensify this afternoon, reach its peak this evening, and taper off tomorrow morning. Although the University has not closed, please check your e-mail for notice of individual class cancellations from your faculty members. Most "non-essential" staff will be leaving campus at noon today – as a result, most offices will close at that time. Below is a list of other information that may be helpful to you during the storm.
Michael J. Whaley
Vice President for Student Affairs
Storm Information for Students:
· Middletown has declared a parking ban that prohibits parking on all streets – please immediately move vehicles to student lots to avoid being ticketed and towed
· Strong winds are expected at the height of the storm this evening. These winds may cause tree damage and/or down power lines. We encourage all students to remain in their residences this evening. Please report any hazardous situations or power outages to Public Safety at 860-685-2345
· Given the possibility of localized power outages, please fully charge cell phones, laptops, etc. If we experience lengthy power outages, we will provide you with shelter options on campus
· Libraries will close at 5pm today
· Davison Health Center will close at noon today and remain closed tomorrow. Medical staff and therapists will remain available 24/7 through usual on call procedures
· Freeman Athletic Center will close at noon today and will reopen at noon tomorrow
· The RIDE campus shuttle will not operate tonight
· Usdan will close at 7pm tonight and reopen tomorrow at 10am.
· Most dining options will be open regular hours for lunch today. Service changes for today are as follows: WEShop is open 11am – 3pm; Pi Café will close at 3pm; Summerfields will be closed for dinner; Usdan will serve dinner 4 – 7pm; Late night dining at Usdan is closed.
· Broad Street Books and Red & Black will close at 1pm today, and reopen at noon tomorrow.