Wesleyan University requires students to live on campus throughout their undergraduate career. However, students can apply for off-campus status if they meet the following criteria:
- Apply as an individual
- If you are a non-traditional student (married, with children, and/or 25 years of age or older)
- If you have a verified medical or physical need which cannot be accommodated on campus
- Accept the Housing Contract and Lead Paint Agreement
- Click on "Register a Group" under the Off-Campus Housing section (located at the end of the choices section on the bottom left-hand screen).
- Complete the online application found in the Off-Campus section (last option).
If you are interested in off-campus housing, you must complete the above steps by Friday, February 14, 2014 by noon.
- You will be notified of the results of your application during the week of February 17, 2014.
- If you are granted Off-Campus Status, your room selection process is complete.
- If you are not granted Off-Campus Status, you must either participate in Program Housing/CBLV selection by Wednesday, February 19, 2014 by noon or register for room selection nights by Wednesday, April 2, 2014 by noon
- Students who are denied off-campus status in February are added to a waitlist, which occasionally has been used to release some additional students over the summer, in order of seniority.
- Off-campus status is granted for one academic year only. If you wish to live off campus for a second year, you must re-apply the following spring.
- You should make absolutely certain Residential Life has already granted you off-campus status before signing and/or accepting a rental agreement.
- If you are planning to study abroad/take a leave of absence for the fall semester, you must apply through this process now if you want to live off-campus for the semester you return to Wesleyan. Only students who meet the criteria in the first paragraph above will be considered.
- Off-Campus spaces cannot be "swapped" with another person.
- If you move to an off-campus apartment or house, you are responsible for the lease. If a roommate should move out, a Wesleyan student currently residing in campus housing will not be eligible to request off-campus status to fill the vacancy.
- You will be charged the residential comprehensive fee, which covers room, board and other student life fees. You will receive a credit of 60% as an off-campus student.
- If you are granted off-campus status, you will still be required to participate in a campus meal plan.
- If, after requesting and being approved, you refuse off-campus status, you will be placed at the end of the waitlist until all the stages of the GRS process have been completed.
- You should be aware that utilities are not typically included in the rental rate for off-campus housing.