Housing Contract

Wesleyan University believes that residential life represents an extremely important aspect of the overall college experience.  It therefore commits a great deal of its resources and energy to providing students with opportunities for their development as scholars, as social beings, and as individuals.  However, in order to get the most out of these possibilities, it is essential that students bring to residential life a spirit of understanding for, and generosity toward, all members of the community.  This spirit, accompanied by an active and enthusiastic willingness to share and participate for the good of all, virtually guarantees the realization of a successful and rewarding residential community.  In the spirit of creating and maintaining this unified community at Wesleyan, the University requires that all undergraduate students live on campus throughout their undergraduate career.


Terms of Occupancy

Students have access to their rooms/units only during the time housing is open.  This date is set from year to year, based on the academic calendar and published on the university calendar for each year.  Correspondence from the Office of Residential Life regarding opening and closing includes the dates university housing is available for students to move in and dates that students must have completed their move out.  Failure to adhere to these dates will lead to administrative charges for early move in and/or moving out late.  Additionally, the university reserves the right to refuse permission for the student to live in a university residence beyond the contract dates, and may charge an administrative fee to any student who resides in university housing prior to or after the published dates when housing is open each academic year.  The university will charge an administrative fee and pack and store occupant's belongings at their cost if they fail to vacate at the conclusion of their contract period.  The university may also discard, at owner's risk, any belongings left in the facility after the university housing closes. 


The University will not assume either risk or liability for loss of, or damage to, personal property.  Since Wesleyan University cannot assume responsibility for loss of (or damage to) personal property of the residents caused by mechanical mishaps, theft, fire, wind, flood or other catastrophes, students are advised to maintain their own insurance for personal possessions. 

Damage to University Property

Residents will be responsible and charged for any damage made to university property within their room, apartment or building which they are assigned.  Damage costs in common areas of units, apartments, houses and buildings will be assessed to all residents of the unit, apartment, house or building if specific individuals responsible for the damage are not identified.  See Physical Plant Housing Guidelines for more detail. 

Lead Paint Disclosure

Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, paint chips, and dust can pose health hazards if not taken care of properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women. Before renting pre-1978 housing, landlords must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards in the dwelling. The University recognizes that any housing built prior to 1978 may contain lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards. Tenants must also receive a federally approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention. By accepting this contract, you are affirming that you have reviewed the pamphlet Protect Your Family from Lead In Your Home. The pamphlet may be downloaded at:

All Wesleyan housing was built before 1978 with the exception of the following:  Bennet Hall, Fauver Apartments, 19 Fountain Avenue, 20 Fountain Avenue, 25 Fountain Avenue, 231 Pine Street, and 14 Warren Street.

Operating a Business/Solicitation

Residents are not permitted to use any Wesleyan facilities or services for business or personal profit activities. This includes, but is not limited to buildings, telephone system, and computer network, hardware, or software, etc.  Only members of recognized student organizations, with permission from The Office of Residential Life, may conduct fundraising activities in the residence halls. Fundraising activities may not include door-to-door solicitation. No outside organization or person may solicit in residence halls or apartments.

Entry of Student Rooms

There are several circumstances under which student rooms may be entered during the course of the academic year including a request by the occupant(s) of the room, immediate concerns regarding the safety of any occupants, an emergency situation, or to check health or safety conditions.   Maintenance and custodial personnel may enter student rooms to provide services necessary to the upkeep of the units and unannounced room inspections will be conducted by university personnel at random times during the year.

Off-Campus Status                        

Off Campus status is viewed as a break of the residency agreement at Wesleyan.  A student can only obtain this by successfully obtaining off-campus Status through the General Room Selection (GRS) process.  Typically, the only students who are released to off-campus status meet at least one of the following criteria: 25 years or older, married, have children, or have a specific medical accommodation need which cannot be met in campus housing.  The GRS is only conducted once a year and must be completed each year that a student wants to live off-campus.  Students who attempt to break the residency agreement without being authorized by Residential Life will be subject to administrative fines and action taken by the Student Judicial Board (SJB), in addition to being charged the full Residential Comprehensive Fee.

Contract Cancellations

In the event of a contract release, a refund will be prorated to the date of the return of the key and the release; no refunds, however, will be granted to students who vacate during the last two weeks of either term.  It is University policy that students in University housing do not sublet their rooms at any time during the contract term.  The University reserves the right to cancel the contract of any student who does not check into his/her room by the first day of classes or notifies the Office of Residential Life prior to that date that she/he will arrive after that date. 

The contract guarantees housing to the student, but it does not guarantee a specific assignment requested by the student.  The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to enforce an administrative move if continued residency by the student at the existing location is determined by the Director of Residential Life or the Dean of Student Services to be detrimental to any part of the university or Middletown community.  The University may terminate the housing contract without notice in the event of an emergency that would make continued operation of University housing not feasible.  The University reserves the right to terminate the housing contract/lease for reasons of conduct in violation of the Code of Non-Academic Conduct.  


Pets are not permitted in any student housing with the exception of fish in 10 gallon tanks or smaller. No other pets or animals are permitted in student residences at any time, even if for a brief visit. Students and their roommates who have a pet or animal found in their residence are subject to the following:

First Offense: $300 fine and referral to the Student Judicial Board
Second and Subsequent Offenses:
  $500 fine and further judicial action up to and including suspension
Regular follow up visits will be made to ensure the animal has been removed.

Students who, because of a disability, seek approval for a support or assistance animal must request a reasonable accommodation through Disabilities Services. This is a formal process that requires appropriate supporting documentation. A determination is then made regarding whether it is reasonable for the animal to be on campus. For policies regarding service animals, please contact Disabilities Services. Students must not bring the emotional support animal to campus until they have received approval from Disabilities Services and Residential Life.  Any student who has an animal in residence prior to approval is subject to a fine and judicial action.

Housing Guidelines

Students are responsible for basic care and upkeep of their residential area in accordance with the University’s “Housing Guidelines”  Residential areas that are not found to be in acceptable condition will result in mandatory professional cleaning at the student’s expense, a fine, and/or possible relocation. Students will be held individually responsible for damages or guideline violations in their assigned room and may be held collectively responsible for damages or guideline violations that occur in the shared common area of their living unit or building.   Fines for violations will be charged to the student’s account.

Room Assignments

Only those students who have signed contracts for University housing may reside therein.  Students who have been granted permission to live off-campus may not live in any housing owned by Wesleyan University unless they forfeit their off-campus status.  Only those students to whom a particular room or unit has been assigned by the Office of Residential Life may reside therein.  Overnight guest may not remain in residence for more than three (3) consecutive nights. Students are expected to respect the rights of their roommates, house mates, or apartment mates whenever guests are present.  The University reserves the right to assign roommates, to consolidate vacancies within the same unit, to change room assignments for reasons of health, safety, incompatibility or other conditions seriously affecting the general welfare of the residents involved, and to make room assignments wherever there are vacancies.  Students and/or guests are not permitted to reside in common areas, attics or basements unless such areas are designated as bedrooms by the Office of Residential Life.

Room Changes and Exchanges

Students may request room changes by filling out a Room Change Request form and submitting it to the Office of Residential Life.  Room changes begin two weeks after classes begin and end four weeks before the end of the semester.  Room changes will not be granted from single-occupancy residence hall rooms to entirely empty double-occupancy or other single-occupancy residence hall rooms.  All students involved in room changes must obtain written permission, in advance of the change, from the Office of Residential Life. 

Students can request room exchanges within a wood frame house or an apartment starting when housing opens each semester until the week before finals. Students can go to the Office of Residential Life and obtain the Exchange Request form. Once the students have signed and submitted the form, they cannot move until they receive permission from the Office of Residential Life. Students must exchange rooms before finals begin. This helps Residence Life to be clear on which spaces are empty for cleaning purposes. Students have to exchange rooms within 48 hours of approval from Residence Life.

Unauthorized room changes and exchanges may result in an administrative fine of $250.00 for each person involved.  In addition, each person may be required to return to their original assignment and will be subject to charges of violations of the Code of Non-Academic Conduct, in particular regulations (14) Failure to Comply with a University official and (15) Department Regulations.  

Students are responsible for keys and any damage to their assigned room.  Residential Life will not retroactively change room assignments to avoid damage fees or incorrect key charges.  In addition, students will only be keyed into the room that shows as their official assignment, should they be locked out.


At the time of check-in, each student receives key(s) to hir room, hall, or house.  All keys must be returned to the Office of Residential Life at the time of check-out.  A student who fails to return hir keys(s) to the Office of Residential Life within 24 hours of the termination of the housing contract or of checking out will incur a charge for a lock change.  If a student has misplaced hir key(s) but believes ze can locate it, ze may borrow key(s) from the Office of Residential Life.  Borrowed keys not returned to the Office of Residential Life within 3 business days will result in the lock being changed and an assessment for each key.  The student will be held financially responsible for the expense.  Duplication of keys by students is prohibited and is considered to be a serious violation of the Code of Non-Academic Conduct.  


On weekdays during Residential Life business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), all students can retrieve Loaner Keys from the Office of Residential Life free of charge.  Loaner keys must be returned to the Office of Residential Life by close of the business day on which they are checked-out. Students living in the following areas:  156 High, 200 Church, Bennet Hall, the Butterfields, Clark, Hewitt, Nicolson, and West College will go to the Resident Advisor on duty for their area when locked out from 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. 

Check Out

A student must vacate University housing by noon the day following termination of their student status in the event of withdrawal, resignation, graduation, completion of credit requirements, their last final, official leave or disciplinary action; or by the last day of the contract term.  Failure to do so will result in the student having to pay both a fine and room charge.  Upon vacating their room, the student must follow established check-out procedures as provided by the Office of Residential Life and the Physical Plant Office.

Community Standards are also part of your Housing Contract
Fire Safety Guidelines are also part of your Housing Contract
Physical Plant Housing Guidelines are also part of your Housing Contract