Winter Resident Advisor – 2013/14
Winter Resident Advisors (RAs) are members of the Residential Life Staff at Wesleyan University. They are directly supervised by members of the central office staff. Winter RAs play an integral role in maintaining healthy and safe living conditions during our reduced operations between the fall and spring semesters. While Resident Advisors have specific responsibilities to their assigned winter area, they are expected to serve in their role and support the mission of the Office of Residential Life throughout the Wesleyan community.
Facilitator of Community Development:
- Strive to create a sense of community and mutual respect within the living unit through an emphasis on courtesy, consideration, contribution, and involvement.
- Be available, approachable and visible to students to assist with personal, social, academic and general resources.
- Participate in a rotating duty schedule.
- Be available during emergency situations to assist in assuring the safety and security of residents. NOTE: At the discretion of the director of Residential Life, this position can be deemed essential during emergency situations. This means that while other students may be encouraged to vacate campus, Reslife student staff are required to remain at Wesleyan to assist in community response.
- Perform general office work in the central office
- Assist with residential key management
- Support special projects as assigned by Central Office staff
Communication / Administration:
- Work closely with professional staff on-call in responding to and resolving crisis situations
- Keep the area coordinators informed of incidents, concerns, and solutions related to residents, including calling the AC on-call when appropriate
- Follow-up on phone calls, emails, and other messages in a timely fashion
- Assist in the administration of the mid-year check-in and check-out processes
Advising / Counseling / Referral:
- Assist students in resolving situations of concern; remain professional and respect confidentially while keeping supervisor(s) updated and informed
- Be aware of the various campus and community resources available to students
- Recognize when a concern is beyond an RA’s level of comfort and competence; and refer students to the many resources available to them
- Address and report inappropriate conduct in residential facilities
- Respond promptly and professionally in crisis situations; know appropriate protocol as outlined in the Staff Manual
- Act in accordance with the philosophy, objectives, and standards of the University and the Office of Residential Life; maintain a standard of personal conduct commensurate with the responsibilities of this position. Understand that Resident Advisors are representatives of Wesleyan University and are role models at all times. This includes situations such as those involving alcohol consumption and dating-relationships with residents.
- Resident Advisors are expected to adhere to University policy as well as local, state, and federal laws.
- Any job performance deemed unsatisfactory will be handled in accordance with the Progressive Discipline Process as outlined in the Staff Manual.
- For the winter break of 2013/14, each Resident Advisor receives $20 a night when “on duty,” and an hourly salary of $8.70 for hours worked in the central office.
Winter Resident Advisor Application is available here