Sustainability Action Planning Workshop
The Sustainability Office and Sustainability Advisory Group (SAGES) will be hosting a workshop to brainstorm and develop creative new ideas for Wesleyan’s next Sustainability Action Plan on Friday, 2/21 from 12-5 PM in Allbritton 311. A schedule is as follows:
12:00-12:15 Introduction by President Roth
12:15-12:45 Lunch (provided) and workshop overview by Jen Kleindienst and Bill Nelligan
12:45-1:45 Brainstorming (small groups)
2:00-3:30 Developing ideas in-depth (small groups)
3:45-4:45 Presentations (5 minutes per group)
4:45-5:00 Wrap-up and next stepsMost of the workshop will be spent working in small groups, focused on the following areas, which correspond to sections of the proposed plan:
- The building group will consider policies and practices to promote sustainable new and existing buildings.
- Dining and Food
- This group will focus on sustainable food and beverage purchases as well as practices to reduce waste and use sustainable products.
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Affordability
- The diversity, inclusion, and affordability group will consider ways to increase diversity and inclusion on campus and make a Wesleyan education affordable.
- Education and Research
- This group will focus on ways to integrate sustainability into the curriculum and encourage faculty and student sustainability research.
- The energy group will consider ways to conserve energy, improve efficiency, and increase the use of renewable energy.
- Engagement (campus and community)
- This group will focus on sustainability learning experiences outside of the classroom, including events, publications, student groups, and inclusion of sustainability in extra-curricular programming. In addition, the group will look at ways to give back to the community through community service, engagement, and partnerships.
- The grounds group will consider ways to improve grounds maintenance practices, including plantings, water usage, and chemical usage.
- Health and Well-Being
- This group will focus on ideas to make Wesleyan a healthy and happy place.
- The planning group will consider strategies to institutionalize sustainability policies and practices.
- This group will focus on ways for Wesleyan to make sustainable purchases and support companies with strong commitments to sustainability.
- The transportation group will consider ways to reduce single-person vehicle travel, increase the use of public transportation, walking, and biking, and decrease air travel.
- This group will focus on strategies to reduce, reuse, recycle, and compost.
- The water group will consider ways to reduce Wesleyan's water usage.
This workshop is open to the entire campus. Registration is now closed, but spaces are still available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to register.