Presidents' Climate Commitment
In 2007, President Michael S. Roth enthusiastically signed the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment. The Sustainability Advisory Group was tasked to implement all the stipulations of the Commitment, which includes:
- Complete a yearly comprehensive inventory of all greenhouse gas emissions (including emissions from electricity, heating, commuting, and air travel). The most recent greenhouse gas emissions inventory was completed in Spring 2012.
- Develop a Climate Action Plan, which requires:
- A target date for achieving climate neutrality.
- Interim targets for goals and actions that will lead to climate neutrality.
- Actions to make climate neutrality and sustainability a part of the curriculum and other educational experience for all students.
- Actions to expand research or other efforts necessary to achieve climate neutrality.
- Mechanisms for tracking progress on goals and actions.
Wesleyan is on a path to reach climate neutrality in 2050 through goals, targets, and actions laid out in the Climate Action Plan (CAP). The CAP was first published in 2010 and revised in 2012 to reflect changes to Wesleyan's sustainability practices.
Community Climate Commitment
Members of Wesleyan's Environmental Organizers' Network, in conjunction with the Sustainability Advisory Group (SAGES), developed the Wesleyan Community Climate Commitment. This commitment is an individual sustainability pledge, accessible through your electronic portfolio, that all members of the Wesleyan community are encouraged to sign.
This commitment suggests eleven small actions that we can take as individuals to collectively make a difference -- things like recycling, using refillable bottles instead of bottled water, carpooling, and turning off unneeded lights. The commitment form asks the entire Wesleyan community to select at least five of these actions, and then click the button at the bottom to agree to the pledge. You will have the opportunity in the future to revise your commitment. This pledge form is available in your Employee or Student portfolio:
- Employees: "Personal Information," upper left side
- Students: My Student Portfolio, in "Student Life at Wesleyan"
For more ideas about how you can reduce your own impact on the environment, visit our Suggested Actions page!