Whether you're a student or an employee, there are many ways for you to get around Middletown or off-campus without your own car.
Tools and Rewards
- CT Rides, a program of CT DOT, offers free bus trial rides and has a ridematching service to help you get where you need to go. CT Rides offers a number of other commuter benefits, too.
- CT Rides has also partnered with NuRide, a free service which gives you rewards when you walk, bike, carpool, or take public transportation, whether you're traveling for work, school, or just for fun.
Ridesharing and Carpooling
- Wesleyan's Rideboard (login required) is the best way for you to offer a seat or find a ride, especially for breaks. There's a commuting section for employees, too.
- Join Zipcar for access to Wesleyan's three Zipcars, which can be rented by the hour or the day. 2 Zipcars live in C Lot (across from Allbritton); 1 lives in E Lot (Admissions parking lot).
- WesBikes is Wesleyan's student-run bike rental program, which promotes sustainable transportation on campus and around Middletown. Working on a system of semester-long rental periods, it caters to students for whom owning a bicycle on campus is infeasible for geographical or financial reasons. WesBikes also offers students the opportunity to try out owning a bike on campus. All proceeds from bike rentals go into maintaining the bike fleet.
- If you're just looking to get around campus more easily, hop on The Ride, the free campus shuttle that runs nightly from 7 PM to 4 AM.
- Transportation Services offers weekly shuttles to the New Haven Train Station. Before and after breaks, Transportation Services offers shuttles to Bradley Airport, New Haven Train Station, Boston, New York City, and occasionally to Philadelphia/Washington, D.C. Tickets for all shuttles can be purchased through the Box Office.
- Middletown Area Transit can get you most places in Middletown. Wesleyan is located on Route C; the nearest bus stops are at William/Broad, William/High, and Washington/High. Rides are $1.25 each way; discounted fares are available for 10-trip or monthly passes.
- CT Transit offers buses to Hartford and Bradley Airport, as well as connections to most CT cities.
- 9 Town Transit connects Middletown to Chester, Clinton, Deep River, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Westbrook, with connections to New London.