BECOME A WRITING TUTOR, MENTOR OR FELLOW
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Writing tutors and mentors are hired by Anne Greene, Director of Writing Programs. In selecting tutors we look for people who are interested in writing and in writers' struggles. We favor applicants who have strong academic records, though we do hire people whose records show ups and downs. Some applicants will be hired because they know the subject matter of a course where a writing tutor is needed. Students may apply beginning in their second semester of freshman year, although preference is given to older students. We need to match your background and abilities to the requirements of the jobs available.
Before you apply, please be sure you will be able to accept a job if we should offer you one; if your schedule is so tight that you can only work at a particular time, or in a particular position, please indicate this clearly on your application. Tutors are usually hired at the end of the spring semester to work the following academic year.
COMPENSATION FOR WRITING TUTORS
$400 stipend and one course credit in English.
Please note that according to university regulations, you may count only two credits from writing tutor or teaching apprentice work towards your 32 credits required for graduation.
THE FORD TEACHING SEMINAR
All writing tutors and mentors participate in the Ford Teaching Seminar (ENGL491/492), a training course which meets Tuesdays from 12 to 1pm. Readings and short exercises are assigned each week as well as a longer final project. There is a separate meeting for veteran tutors. The course is designed both to develop your teaching skills and also to introduce you to the formal study of the teaching of writing.
TO APPLY FOR A TUTORING POSITION
APPLYING IN THE SPRING:
The main hiring period for writing tutors is in the spring semester. We hire tutors and mentors then to work in the fall or spring semester of the next academic year.
To apply in the spring semester for Writing Tutor, Writing Mentor, and Course Tutor positions in the following academic year:
Deadline for 2015-2016 writing tutor applications: April 24th
- Complete the pre-application form, which is available here. This form is due on April 17th at 5pm. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Then print and fill out the tutor application form, which is available here. Be sure to include your transcript (from your E-Portfolio or a copy from the registrar). Write in the names of course instructors where they are not listed on the transcript.
- Return the completed application to the box outside Anne Greene's office, Downey House Room 207. Applications are due April 24th at 5pm.
- We will contact you within a week if we would like to offer you an interview.
APPLYING IN THE FALL:
We also continue accepting applications in the fall for a small number of spring writing tutor positions.
To apply in the fall for a spring 2016 writing tutor position, complete the pre-application form by 5pm on October 28th and submit your application by 5 pm on November 2nd. In addition to the tutor application form, be sure to submit a copy of your transcript with professors’ names filled in next to each course.
REAPPLYING (FOR VETERAN TUTORS):
If you have already worked for us as a tutor and would like to work again, please do the following:
- Complete the pre-application form by 5pm on October 28th (for spring 2016).
- Print and fill out the application form (see below for link). You do NOT need to answer questions 2 and 3 on the second page, but please do fill in all contact information and your fall schedule.
- Make sure to submit an updated transcript with professors' names written in and one recent paper with your application form.
- Return the completed application to the box outside Anne Greene's office, Downey House Room 207. Applications are due at 5 pm on November 2nd for spring 2016.
Please contact Professor A. Greene for additional information about applying to be a writing tutor.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Director of Writing Programs
Downey House, Room 207
294 High Street
Middletown, CT 06459