Wesleyan Student Assembly — Wesleyan University
- Fight Song
- Open Forum
- Committee Reports
Saul: NYT speaker Roger Cohen will come March 4th. Everyone needs to post posters. We have a banner now. Student groups will have Gmail accounts. Esuds is being investigated, is “pretty sweet.”
Mike: We used to get $6,000 from Academic Affairs, and $4,000 from student affairs. They’re going to yank that money. Now faculty are complaining about a lack of papers.
Candace: my understanding was that the papers were only going to students.
Saul: We did reallocate the delivery of the papers so more students would get them. Academic Affairs prevented academic departments from providing funding. If AA pulls their money, then we can get indepent departments to fund the program.
Ali: Can we subsidize the papers so students can buy them for a discount?
Saul: We’re looking into it.
Amy: Why are faculty not getting gmail?
Justin: Faculty are older and it have more problems adapting to new technology.
Benedict: Secret thing coming soon! Also, Maryland’s U. system is requiring professors to list the ISBN #’s for textbooks next to the titles.
Jen: Freeman, sustainability, Freeman, zipcars + transportation.
Goy: What does “they’re working on” the lights in freeman? You either turn them on or off.
Amy: They didn’t even want to turn the TV’s off. They don’t want PSafe to turn the lights off.
Brittni: What will it take to change the meal plan system?
Jen: Bon Appetit and the administration are concerned that if we change the system before the new financial year, Bon Appetit will exceed their yearly budget and the school will have to subsidize.
Mike: No paper towels in dorms?
Jen: Students will bring in individual hand towels to avoid wasting paper and save 20,000 dollars in paper.
Micah F: When you lose your Wescard you fill out paperwork with your WesID. For guest meals, why not swipe then use the paperwork for the second meal.
Saul: It would be nice to see URLC pass a recommendation about the free UHaul.
Jen: Any ideas for publicizing The Ride?
Mike: They’re going to cut the paper towels for next year’s freshman?
Ali: The monetary impact of paper towels is over $20,000. We’d give out hand towels for frosh at orientation.
Candace: As a part of lighting tour, investigate the ride’s lighting at stops.
Jen: We’ll look into it but can’t do it now.
Dave G: Is the purpose of cutting paper towels to save money or reduce waste.
Becky: We’ve been busy, but don’t have much to report.
Karl: AOD scheduling snafus fixed. I’ve read other schools policies and put them into charts. This contrasts with Scott Backer’s research, which is full of cherrypicking.
Elise: PSAC, babysitting co-op (possible work-study program?), Happy Hour. (Free alcohol for people with ID, like other schools do.)
Goy: At Colby people have buttons that say “I Love Waterville.” Can we do that with Middletown? I want my buttons.
Goy: New chart with allocations. More transparent.
Jared: We’re going through our budget pretty fast, but still a mellow week.
Jared: They’re pending. Doing good fundraising, we’ll figure it out soon.
EC:Mike P: I’d look at a proposal to increase facilities.
Mike P: Wes has way more arrests for drugs than peer schools. We also need a way to institutionalize the conversation about overenrollment.
Jared: Concerning arrests—what is that based on?
Mike P: Statistics provided publicly.
Cordelia: How will they enforce the new fire safety protocol? The new language seems vague. Would some individual officers go rogue?
Saul: One way to combat this is to have offending students flush illegal substances down the toilet. We could also have superiors speak to officers and say “you need to change your attitude.” If there is not a decrease in arrests, then we have proof.
Benedict: Regarding the enrollment numbers, the problem might not go away. Also, would we be a better school with more facilities and just expanding?
Phil: Are we meeting with every officer? Police records?
Mike P: The problem is the policy first. We need to change the policy then the fire inspection officers who think they’re in the DEA, not the police.
Micah (guest): Is there any way to analyze this subannually?
Saul: We do have a mechanism for that and can work with PSafe on it.
Mike and David M. present on Summer Strategies
(See attached powerpoint text.)
Jared: What about cost feasibility of senior housing over frosh fauver? Combine internship opportunities and classes?
Micah(guest): The summer classes should be full credit.
Candace: Wes has great programs beside language. We should focus on our academic strengths.
Adam I: Yale has a study abroad plus on-campus program.
Phil: What year could these programs be realistically initiated?
Mike: About a year or two if there’s the desire.
Phil: Is 3 classes the max or required? As a max it might work better. Also, how specialized can we be?
Charlie: Is this going to be limited to just Wes students? I think it’s a good idea. Would we have to hire more faculty?
Mike: We would bring in more faculty.
Cordelia: Having non-Wes kids would be positive. An admissions process would make sure the summer students would be of the same caliber.
Goy: If student are racking up more credits in a summer program and choose not to go abroad, isn’t it possible to have lots of early grads? Isn’t that a large revenue loss?
David: If the program is mostly intro classes or the person decides to go abroad then it’s okay.
Mike: I think we should preserve the 4-year experience, possibly through requirements.
Elise: I’m worried about making it a required program. It’s cheaper to shop around or take classes at home. Also, will financial aid cover the summer?
Mike: I would hope so.
Brad: It would be a net loss if we end up drawing from endowment.
Benedict: Any summer program should take advantage of what we have on campus. Our film program, for example. Or a program on counterterrorism and insurgency research—a specialized immersion program as a larger research project.
Saul: A two-tier approach might work with specific and general programs on campus. Opening access to Wesleyan might be cool.
Jen: I think this summer we’re having a film institute. I don’t think we can have this conversation without having a trimester system. That makes summer programs easier.
Mike: Trimester system is a quarter system. Fall, winter, spring, with an optional or required summer. People alternate which semester they take off. (Dartmouth system.)
Cordelia: I heard Wes is unfriendly at accepting credit from other places. Have people considered being stricter on outside credit to limit people shopping outside for summer programs?
Ben: I know Harvard hosts the New York Film Academy. Have we thought about partially outsourcing the management but using our facilities and possibly faculty?
David: Realistically, Middletown isn’t a desirable summer place. What we excel at is our professors.
Mike: And I want to set the record straight, Middletown’s great.
David: We could also do the May session.
Candace: Part of the reason people don’t come to Middletown is that it is hard to leave. Maybe we’re looking at summer camp things because college students expect to leave campus more frequently.
Jen: We could expand the new haven shuttles over the summer.
Bradley: No one has mentioned endowment per student. If we target Wes students, then more will be enrolled. This leads to a lower endowment per students. There is also a summer program paradigm like Harvard or UPenn where students from less prestigious schools or HS students and cheap visiting professors could be a better cash cow.
Saul: Endowment per student isn’t always an accurate measure of wealth.
Mike: The revenue side would be helped. We should help revenue and students and ignore the US News stats. The admin is talking about this a lot. This will be discussed next board meeting.
Bradley: Constitutional Review is coming up. Yay! Oeac reviews constitution. People can review the constitution and bylaws and submit changes for a 2/rds vote. Oeac will comb the constitution and submit changes.
Saul: We will remove minor inconsistencies, but also will accept proposals from the assembly.
Mike: Constitutional review is fun!
Benedict: Just like Middletown in the summer!
Goy: I agree with Mike. You can make huge change in the WSA.
Bradley: Some ideas that have been thrown around: Splitting WSA in half, making SBC members separate, having members elected by dorm rather than class year, election reforms. Email me about this.
Becky: We want to get more involved with students. SAC is now versed in SJB procedures. We can be process advisors for SJB, and train more people as process advisors. It’s a 90 minute training session. You can confidentially help people for their meetings.
Saul: Imagine yourself as a public defender of students.
Karl: Public defender for students!
Becky: This is a way for the WSA to get involved with students.
Mike: New tradition: Member of the week! Ali San Roman, for sustainability committee work that was phenomenal! Second member is Karl for standing up to Scott Backer!
Ben: Happy birthday Meherazade.
Respectfully submitted by Benjamin Firke ’12