Edgar Fauver, MD
A revered figure at Wesleyan for his athletic administration, coaching, and service as University physician during a 35-year career, Edgar Fauver joined the Wesleyan staff in 1911 as an associate professor of physical education and soon became professor as well as college physician in 1913. As chairman of the department of physical education from 1911 to 1937, Dr. Fauver added coaching duties in football, basketball, baseball, swimming, and tennis at various times to his repertoire. In 1937, he stepped down from his position in athletics to devote himself to his medical practice at Wesleyan, which he did until his death in 1946.
Under Dr. Fauver’s direction, Wesleyan flourished in the athletic realm with major improvements to its programs and facilities. The Alumni Athletic Building, affectionately known as the “Cage,” was completed under his guidance in 1931 and supplemented in 1935 with the construction of the adjacent squash courts. Major upgrades to Andrus Field and Fayerweather Gymnasium resulted from his diligence, as did the acquisition of North Field, now known as Jackson Field. He was the individual credited with widening the college’s intramural sports program through his notion of athletics for all.
Dr. Fauver was born in Ohio in 1876, and starred in football and baseball at Oberlin College before graduating in 1899. Following his graduation, he taught and coached at Centre College in Kentucky and at Oberlin before attending the Columbia School for Physicians and Surgeons, from which he earned his MD in 1909. Dr. Fauver stayed at Columbia for two years before venturing to Wesleyan in 1911.
In his honor, Wesleyan named a playing field after Dr. Fauver, and when the field was made the site of two undergraduate residence complexes in 2005, the buildings were dubbed the Fauver Residences.