General Student Employment Information

  • Determining Work-study Eligibility
    How do I know if I am a work-study student, and if I am, how can I find out what my work-study package is this semester?

    You are considered a work-study student if you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, Wesleyan Term-Time Employment, or Freeman Term-Time Employment as a part of your financial aid award.  You can view your financial aid award on SIMON through your Wes Portal.  Once logged into SIMON, choose the appropriate academic year from the drop-down on the top right hand corner of the landing page and then choose Awards from the menu drop-down on the top left.  Your financial aid award is broken down by semester including your work-study eligibility.  
  • Finding a Job


    The first step to finding a job is click on the Student Employment Job Opportunities link in your WesPortal (will be available as of Monday, August 31st). There you will find a list of all of the positions that are available at this time.

    Each job posting has a job description with more detailed information about the position's requirements. Read these descriptions carefully to see if the position is of interest to you. The types of things that you should pay particularly close attention to are things such as specific time demands or special requirements/qualifications of the position.

    The job posting page updates regularly with new positions that open on campus.  We encourage you to check back regularly!  If you have specific time demands (such as odd class hours or practice/games), you may need to broaden your search to include positions that will accommodate these demands on your time.  These positions may not be the ideal job but may have the flexibility and availability to work with your schedule.


    Once you find a position that interests you, you should apply to the job through Handshake. Be sure to review the job description for any additional steps that the supervisor may require of applicants.


    In some cases, an employer may ask you to stop by for an informal interview. This is not something that you should be anxious about. In most cases, this is an opportunity for the supervisor to get to know you and ask you some questions to see if you are a good fit for the job.

    This is also a time that the supervisor may want to talk with you more specifically about your class schedule and see what time commitment you will be able to make. So, be prepared. Have your class schedule with you.

    Take this opportunity to ask some questions of your own - such as the exact pay rate.


    If everything goes well and you are offered the job, congratulations,  you can get started!!!  AFTER you make sure that you've done a couple of things.

    Review the Employment Eligibility Verification & Direct Deposit drop down for information regarding the paperwork that must be completed with the Payroll Office before you can start working.

  • Job Offer Phishing Email Alert
    Handshake contains up to date information about student employment opportunities for students available directly through Wesleyan.  Jobs posted by Wesleyan University Student Employment on Handshake have been vetted by our office before being made available to students.  Students are welcome to seek employment outside of Wesleyan but should exercise caution when considering opportunities from other employers, particularly when seeking remote employment.  Students should always research any employer and/or offered job opportunity; if an opportunity sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. You should note that it is possible for a fraudulent email to come from a legitimate Wesleyan email address if the account has been hacked so job opportunities sent to you from a Wesleyan email address should be researched as you would any other job.

    When communicating with an employer, receiving emails from potential employers, or searching for a job, be on the lookout for the following "Red Flag" situations:          

    • Makes an offer for a position without ever interacting/interviewing you
    • You receive an email from an employer you have had no interaction with offering you a job or to “make money quickly”
    • Offers a large sum of money for minimal work.  Remember that the Connecticut minimum wage is $12 an hour
    • Offers payment before you do any work or sends you compensation unexpectedly
    • Requests for you to make a payment upfront via transfer/wire money, money order or courier
    • Requests your personal information – social security number, credit card information, bank account number, copies of your license, passport, photograph, or other personal documents
    • Posting lacks all or some of the following information: company name, address, contact information, telephone number, domain email address, etc.
    • Postings with spelling and grammatical errors
    • Employer website without a clear description of the business, contact information, or job descriptions

    If you suspect a posting is fraudulent, be sure to proceed with caution.  Do not provide any personal information and do not click on any links. End all communications with the employer immediately and, if Wesleyan University is mentioned in the email, contact the ITS Security group at  ASAP for assistance and advice on how to proceed. 
  • Employment Eligibility Verification Requirement

    You will be required to fill out the I-9 form and W-4 federal and state tax forms.  The Wesleyan Payroll Office will assist you with completing these forms.  These forms must be completed prior to working.

    Entering students are asked to bring appropriate documentation on Arrival Day to complete the forms. You may also contact the Payroll Office for remote options for supplying these documents by submitting a ticket through the Payroll Help option in your WesPortal.   Failure to complete these forms will make a student ineligible to work.

    Documentation must be provided to establish identity and employment eligibility.  Acceptable forms of documentation are listed below. Please note original documents are required, copies are not acceptable.  Students must provide either one document from List A OR one document EACH from List B AND List C.

    List A: Documents that Establish both Identity and Employment Eligibility

    • U.S. Passport
    • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
    • Foreign Passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notification on a machine readable immigrant visa
    • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (INS Form I-766)
    • In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to a status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
    • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI




    List B: Documents that Establish Identity

    • Driver's License or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
    • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color, and address
    • School ID card with a photograph
    • Voter's registration card
    • U.S. Military card or draft record
    • Military dependent's ID card
    • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
    • Native American tribal document
    • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
    • For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
    • School record or report card
    • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
    • Day-care or nursery school record




    List C: Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

    • U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
    • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
    • Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
    • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
    • Native American tribal document
    • U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
    • I.D. Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)
    • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  • Direct Deposit Mandatory Requirement
    Direct deposit is our method of payment and therefore mandatory. If you have a bank account in the U.S., you will need to provide us with your banking information, such as your routing number and account number (this is not the number on your debit card). If you don't have a current bank account, you may open an account while on campus and complete the direct deposit form available on your WesPortal with the Payroll Office.
  • Student Employee Rights & Responsibilities

    As a student employee, there are many rights and responsibilities for employment on campus.  These should be taken seriously, as you are now part of the work unit. 

    •  Time management skills are essential as you should always report to work on time.
    • Adhere to supervisor guidelines regarding unscheduled time off from work. Employers rely on student employees to help meet many office deadlines and need to be notified of changes to the expected schedule.
    • You have the right to know what is expected of your supervisor on the job.
    • Student employees have the right to bring to the attention of their employer any problems or concerns that may arise concerning the job.
    • Perform the duties assigned to you to the best of your ability.
    • Always dress appropriately for the job as specified by your employer.
    • It is recommended that you give employers one-week notice if you are resigning.
    • Student employees must observe confidentiality policies of the employing department.
    • You must sign in and out every time you work indicating the actual hours worked and submit the completed timesheet to the supervisor every Friday. (Those timesheets handed in late will be paid in the next payroll week and will not be eligible for work-study or term-time wage split which can result in termination or loss of hours.)
    • Student employees must notify the supervisor of any job-related accident.
    If you do not meet the employing department’s expectations, you may be asked to resign.
  • Hours Per Week

    For students who have work-study or term-time employment who want to maximize their availability before exhausting your work-study/term-time each semester can be a daunting task.  Here is an example of a way that you can approximate the number of hours you can work (combining all hours at all positions) before using up all of your work-study or term-time eligibility:


    Total work-study/term-time eligibility


    ÷ Wesleyan Hourly wage


    = Total # of hours you can work


    ÷ Number of weeks you will work


    = # of hours you can work per week


    Once your work-study/term-time eligibility is exhausted, it will be at the discretion of your supervisor if they will be able to continue your employment.  It is integral that you are in communication with your supervisor in this regard.

    Remember, classes comes first!  Your employment on campus should never take precedent over your classes and you cannot work when you are supposed to be in class.

  • Holding More Than One Job
    Students are allowed to hold more than one position; however, it is important that you advise your employer(s) if you have more than one position that is utilizing your work-study eligibility.  If your employer(s) is not aware, you could run out of funding and be unable to work for the remainder of the semester.  It is the combined responsibility of the student and employer to keep track of your earnings to ensure that you do not exceed your total work-study amount awarded.
  • Getting Paid and Wage Documentation

    Students are paid on a weekly basis and directly deposited into the bank account on file with the Payroll office.  Wages will not be credited to your student account.

    To access your weekly paystubs and annual statements (W-2), click on the 'Online Pay Statements -iPay' link in the 'My Information' block of your WesPortal.  You may be asked to reenter your login information.  Once logged in, the system defaults to your paystubs.  Click on any of the pay dates to view your weekly paystub.  To view your annual statement (W-2), click on the Pay & Taxes dropdown in the top left hand corner and choose Annual Statements to view your W-2.

  • Non-use and/or Non-earning of Eligibility
    If you are unable to find a position that works for you or do not earn all of your work-study or term-time allotment you do not have to pay back any unused portion, nor will you be paid for any unused portion.  If eligible, you will be offered Federal Work-study or Wesleyan Term-Time Employment is subsequent years regardless of whether you choose to take advantage of this opportunity.
  • Wesleyan's Discrimination Policy

    Wesleyan University is fully committed to a policy of equal opportunity throughout the University, and to this end abides by all applicable federal, state, and local statutes pertaining to nondiscrimination and fair employment practices. 

    Accordingly, the University recruits, hires, trains, promotes, and educates individuals without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Wesleyan University administers all personnel action such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, return from layoffs, education, tuition assistance, and social and recreational programs without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.

    For further information, contact the Equity Compliance Director, Debbie Colucci, of the Office of Equity and Inclusion at extension 2456.