Financial Aid FAQs

  • Does Wesleyan offer financial assistance based on academic merit, athletic ability, or special talents?

    Any financial assistance provided by the Financial Aid Office is based strictly on financial need.  Wesleyan University meets 100% of demonstrated need for all admitted applicants who indicated at time of admission that they were seeking financial aid.  Financial Aid is not available for the BLS Program at this timeIn addition to our need-based financial aid program, students may also apply separately to be considered for the Wesleyan University Hamilton Prize.  International applicants from select Asian countries will be required to apply through Freeman Asian Scholars Program. 

  • Do I need to be accepted for admission before applying for financial aid?

    No.  We expect you to apply for financial aid according to the priority dates for your admission type (ED1, ED2, Regular Decision, and Transfer).  We want to notify you about financial aid at the same time you receive your letter of admission, so please follow the priority dates and contact us if you have any questions or concerns.  The priority dates can be found on the Prospective Applicant pages. 

    Please note:

    • US citizens, permanent residents, DACA/undocumented applicants who wish to be considered for Wesleyan financial aid must indicate prior to admission whether they are seeking financial aid.  Applicants who do not indicate prior to admission will not be eligible to receive Wesleyan financial aid until after the student has completed one year/two full semesters at the university.
    • International Applicants who wish to be considered for Wesleyan financial aid must indicate prior to admission whether they are seeking financial aid.  International applicants who do not indicate prior to admission are ineligible for Wesleyan financial aid throughout their four years at Wesleyan.

     Financial Aid is not available for the BLS Program at this time

  • Where should I send documentation for the financial aid application?
    • US citizens/permanent residents, DACA/undocumented applicants: all documentation or letters of special circumstance should be sent directly to the CollegeBoard’s IDOC (Institutional Documentation Service).  You will receive instructions regarding your IDOC access after submission of the CSS Profile.  Refer to the email received from the CollegeBoard after completion of the CSS Profile for more information. 
    • International applicants:  supporting documentation may be sent directly to the Wesleyan Financial Aid Office.  Be sure to include your Name and Reference Number on your documents.
  • Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?
    • US citizens/permanent residents, DACA/undocumented students:  Yes. Domestic students will be required to resubmit financial documents each year. Ordinarily, noncustodial parent documentation will only be required in the first year.
    • International students:  No.  Ordinarily, we will utilize the documentation provided during the admission process unless a re-review is requested.  

     Financial Aid is not available for the BLS Program at this time

  • Does Wesleyan expect a contribution from the student?

    Wesleyan expects a minimum contribution from students based on the class year.  For fall 2020, the standard first-year student expectation was $2,000. This contribution increases to $2,200 for the remaining years at Wesleyan.

    To make a Wesleyan education more affordable, the minimum student contribution has been reduced to $1,200 for our students who demonstrate the greatest financial need.  The reduced student contribution is based upon the calculated parental contribution.  Students who entered Wesleyan in fall 2020 with a parental contribution of $10,000 or less ordinarily qualified for the reduced student contribution.

    Assets held in the student’s name would also be considered as a resource and may increase the student contribution figures noted above.

  • How is the parent contribution calculated?

    Parent contributions are determined by assessing the family’s total income, both taxed and untaxed, for the relevant tax period.  If you will be applying to Wesleyan for entry in the 2020-21 academic year, your family will be required to provide information and documentation pertaining to the 2018 tax year. We also consider all parent assets, excluding money held in designated retirement funds.  Please note that money contributed to tax deferred retirement accounts in the relevant tax year will be considered as part of the family’s total income.

  • What is the work-study program?

    The Federal Work-Study program is a federally-funded financial aid program available to US citizens and permanent residents. The mandate of the program is to assist students with the cost of their college education by providing a subsidy to employers to support and expand part-time student employment opportunities. At Wesleyan, we also have the Wesleyan Term-Time Employment program for financial aid recipients who do not qualify for the Federal Work-Study program. 

    Students may qualify for either the Federal Work-Study program or for the Wesleyan Term-Time Employment program, which will be indicated on the student’s financial aid award letter.  Students working through either of these programs will apply for positions and, when hired, will be paid directly on a weekly basis.  Students are not required to work but will not be paid for any unearned portion nor will they be expected to pay back any unearned portion.  Please note that we are unable to provide additional grant support to replace the self-help portion of the financial aid award for students who are not able to work.

  • How do outside scholarships affect the financial aid provided by Wesleyan?