Work-Study at Wes

Wesleyan University is committed to giving students the opportunity to satisfy the work-study component of their financial aid package. Students can apply to on-campus jobs, earn money to support their campus experience, and learn applicable skills that will benefit them in the classroom and their future career endeavors.

  • What is work-study at Wesleyan?

    Eligibility for federal or institutional work-study (may be called term-time or Freeman scholars term-time) is determined by a family's need as demonstrated by completing a financial aid application. Work-study eligibility is awarded yearly and divided by semester. Any unused portion of the semesterly allotment cannot be rolled over into future semesters.

    Federal and institutional work-study awards are not a guarantee of employment or earnings. To allow students the ability to choose work in areas on campus that may be of interest, employment opportunities are not automatically assigned through a job placement program. Students must apply for and be hired for jobs to earn their work-study allotment and receive payment. Students can search and apply for a campus job on Handshake, Wesleyan’s student employment platform. For more information about the application process, please visit the student employment website.

    Campus jobs are posted on Handshake and available to all students regardless of their work-study eligibility; however, campus employers have access to their applicants’ work-study status to help inform their hiring decisions. We encourage students to disclose their work-study eligibility to prospective employers during the job application and interview process, particularly as some hiring managers may consider eligibility.

    The Student Employment Office is a resource to facilitate the campus employment process and assist students with finding jobs that fit their needs and interests.



  • Types of Work-study

    Federal work-study: Federal work-study is a federally-funded program that provides funding to the university to assist in compensating qualified student employees for wages earned in their work-study positions.

    Institutional work-study (may be called term-time or Freeman scholars term-time): Institutional work-study is supplemented by Wesleyan University funding to assist the hiring departments in compensating qualified student employees for wages earned in their work-study positions. 

    Students are considered a “work-study eligible student” if the financial aid award includes federal or institutional work-study (institutional work-study may be called term-time or Freeman scholars term-time). 

    Federal work-study and institutional work-study are the same in relation to applying for and working on campus. Students with institutional work-study are not eligible to work for our off-campus employers and cannot work in any positions that are fully federally funded, such as the tutoring programs.

  • Determining Eligibility
    To determine if you are eligible for federal or institutional work-study (may be called term-time or Freeman scholars term-time), please review your financial aid award on SIMON in your WesPortal.

    Once logged into SIMON, choose the appropriate academic year from the drop-down on the top right-hand corner of the landing page and choose Awards from the menu drop-down on the top left. Your financial aid award is broken down by semester, including your work-study eligibility for each semester.

    If you have any questions about your work-study eligibility, please contact our office.
  • Finding a Work-study Job

    All Wesleyan student employment is managed on Handshake. This is where you can apply for all on-campus jobs.

    On Handshake under the “jobs” category, there is a separate tab for “On-campus” employment — this will have job listings for all jobs at Wesleyan, and you can directly apply to them through these listings on Handshake.

    On-campus jobs will be listed together and open to applications from all students regardless of work-study status, though some employers will prioritize hiring work-study students. Handshake will automatically inform hiring managers of the work-study status of their applicants.

    For more information about the application process, please visit the Student Employment website or reach out to their office with any questions.



  • Number of Hours per Week

    For students with federal or institutional work-study (institutional work-study may be called term-time or Freeman scholars term-time), it is important to track the number of hours worked each semester and communicate with their supervisor. Because work-study positions are subsidized and hiring managers may have limited budgets, we encourage students to discuss their work-study status with their supervisor, and ask up-front whether their employment will be continued once their work-study award has been exhausted.

    Students should calculate how many hours they can work per week in order to earn their work-study allotment for the semester. For reference, below is an example of weekly scheduling calculations that can be used to approximate the number of hours a student can work (combining all hours at all positions) to earn their work-study allotment in a given semester:


    Total work-study/term-time eligibility


    ÷ Wesleyan Hourly wage


    = Total # of hours you can work


    ÷ Number of weeks you will work in a given semester


    = # of hours you can work per week



    Remember, classes come first! Your employment on campus should never take precedence over your classes, and you cannot work during your scheduled class times.

  • Holding Multiple Jobs
    Students are allowed to hold more than one position; however, it is important that you advise your employer(s) if you have more than one position that is utilizing your work-study eligibility. If your employer(s) is not aware, you may run out of work-study funding (see Hours per Week). It is the combined responsibility of the student and employer to keep track of earnings and work-study allotment throughout the semester.
  • Work-study Earnings

    Funds earned by students in their on-campus work-study positions will be directly deposited into their bank account set up through payroll. Funds will NOT be automatically withdrawn and applied to the student account. This provides students with autonomy to budget their work-study earnings however they choose.

    To contribute work-study funds earned towards a student account balance, students can make a payment to their account through the Student Account Center. 

    For questions regarding the Student Account Center, please contact the Student Accounts Office.


    For questions regarding setting up direct deposit, please contact the Payroll Office. 

  • Non-Use/Non-Earning of Work-study
    If you are unable to find a position that works for you, or if you do not earn any or all of your work-study eligibility, you do not have to pay back, nor will you be paid, for any unused portion. If eligible, you will still be offered work-study in subsequent years regardless of whether you choose to take advantage of this opportunity.

  • Questions?

    For questions or concerns about:

    • your work-study eligibility, contact the Financial Aid Office.
    • finding a job, the Handshake system, developing your resume, interviewing tips, or questions or concerns about your employment, contact the Gordon Career Center.
    • required payroll documentation, setting up direct deposit, your pay check, pay stub or W-2, contact the Payroll Office.
    • the Workforce Time system, contact your supervisor.