Frequently Asked Questions

Last updated Friday, May 15, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.

Information for Students

  • How is Wesleyan planning for the fall semester?
    While we are planning for a number of different scenarios, we remain hopeful that we will return to the full residential experience that we treasure so much this fall. Of course, the welfare of our students, faculty and staff is paramount, and Wesleyan will not resume normal operations until all proper public health precautions have been taken. These include building capacity to test people who study or work on campus, provide supportive isolation to those who fall ill, and minimize opportunities for the spread of any illnesses. We expect to make a decision about the fall term in early July.
  • Can students choose to defer for a semester?
    Students will be permitted to take a leave of absence.  They should be in contact with their class dean, and international students should contact the OISA to understand any potential implications to taking a leave.
  • What if students' and their families' financial situations change due to the Covid crisis?

    Wesleyan will continue to meet the full-demonstrated need of financial aid recipients for the duration of their Wesleyan careers and is adding $2 million to our financial aid budget as we anticipate that families’ financial circumstances may have changed. In addition, because of the economic downturn, Wesleyan will waive the summer earning contributions for students on financial aid this year, and qualifying students will receive additional grant support to replace this expectation.

  • Is Wesleyan offering a partial reimbursement for the residential comprehensive fee for this semester?

    Yes, students who have left campus will be eligible for a prorated credit of their spring semester residential comprehensive fee (RCF), regardless of whether the student is on financial aid. RCF adjustments will be between approximately $3,500 and $4,200, depending on the RCF originally charged to the student account. Students who petitioned and were approved to remain on campus will not receive an RCF adjustment.

    For students with outstanding balances on their accounts, this credit will first be applied to that outstanding balance.

    RCF adjustments will be processed to individual student accounts within three business days of when the student returns their key to Residential Life. If you are returning keys when ResLife is closed, we ask that you put your keys in an envelope, write your name, student ID, and current residence on it, and then place it in the key drop box between North and South College. If you are unable to return to campus to return your key in person, you must mail the key back to Residential Life as soon as possible. Keys must be mailed via priority/registered mail; a tracking number will help ensure we receive your key and that you are not charged for a lock change.

  • Since courses have now moved online, will you be issuing a partial refund on tuition?

    While Wesleyan is offering families a prorated credit for the spring semester residential comprehensive fee (RCF), the same is not true for tuition. Every class being held this semester has been moved online, thanks to a great deal of work by the faculty. Faculty have strived to find creative and humane solutions to deliver their particular course material as effectively as possible, and have conferred with students in their classes to determine how to make the courses work best for them. A survey of students has shown generally positive experiences with the online courses and attendance has been very high, though both students and faculty alike acknowledge that online delivery cannot match the intimacy and connection that takes place in classroom discussions. Wesleyan is committed to completing all courses this semester so that students can receive full credit, and to carrying out our mission of liberal education under extremely difficult conditions.

  • Can the University health insurance be used if students leave campus?

    The current year student health insurance plan is in effect until August 11, 2020. The plan can be used anywhere, even internationally (although for international claims it will be likely be considered out of network). Students in the U.S. should consider looking under the Gallagher website for “Find A Doctor” to determine if a provider accepts Cigna to get the best benefits and to determine what the co-pay/deductible will be.

    The full plan brochure can be found here.

  • What is the impact on students studying abroad?
    Wesleyan has decided to suspend all study abroad programs for the spring semester, and has instructed students studying abroad to immediately book travel back to the U.S. or to their home countries. Students are required to return home unless it is impossible for them to do so. Most students will be able to finish their program courses remotely. For students for whom this is not the case, Wesleyan will provide alternative academic solutions. All students are guaranteed to receive credit for the semester. Questions can be directed to
  • Will undergraduate students be able to work in labs over the summer?

    If conditions allow for research labs to open, undergraduate summer research work will be limited to those students: 1) who have been accepted into a summer research program (CIS-RIS, COE, McNair, GiSOS); 2) whose mentors agree to mentor them under possibly constrained conditions; and 3)who have been residing on campus this semester. Undergraduate students who must travel to campus will not be allowed to participate in an on-campus research program.            

    Students and mentors are encouraged to pursue online or remote research activities, which will be supported in lieu of prior planned on-campus research activities.

  • Will summer employment opportunities be available for students?
    Students may be hired to work remotely over the summer when that is feasible for the department and the student. If and when social distancing guidelines are relaxed by the CDC and State of Connecticut guidelines, students who have petitioned and been approved to remain on campus for the summer and who had been hired to work remotely may work in person.

Information for Students Remaining on Campus

  • How is Wesleyan caring for students who are unable to go home or are housing insecure?

    Wesleyan offered students with a need the opportunity to petition to remain on campus. Petitions were assessed by a committee of Student Affairs staff, with consideration focused on students with housing insecurity or those who cannot return home; those from countries with travel restrictions; and those with extenuating circumstances. 


  • What services are available for students remaining on campus?
    As long as students remain on campus, we’re committed to providing essential services including dining, health services, and public safety. For students who leave campus, we are making efforts to have all support services available to students through other means (such as email, phone, and teleconference) when possible.
  • What options do students remaining on campus have for buying food?
    Students who have stayed on campus have had access to all meals and other goods through the pop-up shop set up by Bon Appetit.  When the pandemic hit and Wesleyan shifted to online learning, students had the option of receiving half of their Residential Comprehensive Fee (RCF) back or remaining on campus with a modified meal plan that included all meals for the remainder of the semester. Unused meals and points do not carry over from year to year.  If a student has unused Middletown cash they can contact the Wescard office in order to seek a refund.
  • What housing options are available for students remaining on campus over the summer?

    Bennet and Clark will be used for summer housing in a low-residency manner.  Students will have the option of choosing High Rise for summer housing, but should realize that the apartments can get very hot and they will not be able to use portable air conditioners. Fauver Apartments are not available due to necessary roof work that will be performed this summer. There is also a great deal of construction and maintenance that will impact the wood frame houses this summer so residing there isn’t feasible. Please contact Fran Koerting at with any questions.

  • Are senior international students remaining on campus for the spring semester able to stay there after Commencement?

    Typically, seniors are expected to leave campus the day after commencement. Seniors who are not able to leave campus should contact their class dean, David Phillips, with a request to be approved to stay on campus and the reasons supporting their request.  The class deans will review the information and make a determination.  If approved, seniors would be able to stay until July 15 at the latest.

    An exception is also being made for students who have applied for OPT and are waiting for their approval to be able to remain on campus until July 15.  Students who have been approved for OPT should begin looking for off-campus housing options.  

Information About Health Services

  • What should students do if they're showing symptoms of fever and cough?
    If you are off campus, call your primary care physician. If you are on campus, call the Davison Health Center at 860-685-2470 to make an appointment to be evaluated. This number will be staffed 24/7. Please do not walk in to the Health Center without calling first. You should also practice social distancing by avoiding close contact with others.

Information about Academics

  • Can students move from letter grades to CR/U grading?

    Students may request a change from letter grades to CR/U for any course they were enrolled in when the transition to distance learning occurred. All departments have agreed to accept CR/U grades in courses required for the major, minor, or certificate for the spring 2020 semester.

    The mechanism for activating the grade mode change is a simple request to the instructor by the student made on or prior to the last day of class. Students should consult with their departments about “specialty” courses such as thesis or graduate courses. Students anticipating applying for postgraduate schools should contact the schools in which they’re interested regarding their policies on accepting CR/U.

  • Have any academic deadlines been extended?

    Yes. The due date for work owed for incompletes is extended from 30 days after the semester to the first day of the fall semester, September 7, 2020.

    The honors thesis deadline has been moved back a week to 4 p.m. on April 21. Students who meet the deadline will be eligible for all levels of honors, including high honors. They will also be eligible for prizes and can be nominated for University Honors. Their thesis will be read by faculty and they will receive written comments. In addition, they will have access to the thesis correction tool if their department wants them to correct a critical error in their thesis.

    Students can also petition the Honors Committee pursuant to the official Honors Thesis Deadline policy in the Jellybean Papers. Students who successfully petition will be allowed to register their thesis by 4 p.m. on Monday, April 27. Students who elect this option must submit an electronic petition form to their thesis advisor by 4 p.m. on April 6.  (The petition is available to thesis writers in their Honors Candidacy Status link in WesPortal). Keep in mind, written comments from readers may not be available due to the compressed schedule. Students utilizing this option will be eligible for all levels of honors, will be eligible for prizes, and will be eligible for University Honors, provided the May 5 decision deadline can be met. Students who opt for April 27 registration will not have access to the thesis correction tool, however.

    Students who feel they cannot meet either of those registration deadlines will have a third option. With the approval of their thesis advisor, they can submit their thesis by 4 p.m. on May 6. Students who elect this option will not be eligible for high honors, will not be eligible for prizes, and will not be eligible for University Honors. Moreover, their thesis will not be evaluated by readers but rather will be read only by their thesis advisor, who will likely provide limited comments. Honors will not be automatic. Honors will be awarded only if their advisor recommends it. They will not have access to the thesis correction tool either. Lastly, students who receive Honors under this provision will have their honors award printed on their diplomas and transcripts but their names may be excluded from the printed Commencement program due to process deadlines. In addition, students who elect this option should understand that faculty who are mentoring theses may elect to end their thesis supervision on April 21, so essentially the additional time would be for working on their own. Seniors who wish to petition for May 6 registration must submit an electronic petition to their thesis advisor by 4 p.m. on April 6.  Once approved, the thesis advisor needs to forward the petition to Susan Krajewski with their required signature by April 10.

    For further information, contact Susan Krajewski or your department chair.

  • What is happening with TAs and Teaching Apprentices?

    TAs should complete their full assignment this semester and receive credit for their TA/TApp position, ideally being utilized to help with online classes. If that’s not possible, the professor should give the TA some additional assignments, perhaps related to literature on pedagogy in that field. 

Information About Residential Life

  • What happens if students can't retrieve their belongings or can't bring them all home?
    A variety of options are available for help with packing, movement, and/or storage of your belongings. Free boxes are available in Exley 141 while supplies last. UPS will be on campus beginning on March 16 to assist with the purchase of packing supplies and shipping. In addition, free van transportation to local storage facilities is being provided by the University. Details can be found here.
  • What happens if students leave things behind?

    You should pack all your belongings, making sure to check in drawers, under the bed, and in bathrooms and common areas. Please remove all trash, recycling, and compost/debris, and dispose in the proper containers. Information about locations of collection bins for clothing, food, and book donations can be found here.

    When Physical Plant cleans your residence, anything left behind will be discarded. If large items or numerous items are left behind, you will be charged for removal and disposal.

  • Where do students turn in their keys?

    Please return keys to Residential Life. If you are returning keys when ResLife is closed, we ask that you put your keys in an envelope, write your name, student ID, and current residence on it, and then place it in the key drop box between North and South College. 

    If you are unable to return to campus to return your key in person, you must mail the key back to Residential Life as soon as possible, as any credit towards the RCF cannot be processed until it is received. Keys must be mailed via priority/registered mail; a tracking number will help ensure we receive your key and that you are not charged for a lock change.

  • How do students forward mail?

    USPS Mail: Mail will be forwarded to your forwarding address identified in WesPortal.

    Packages: You may either forward your package or have it returned to sender. Forwarding is free for USPS, but must be paid for through FedEx/UPS/DHL.

    If you require us to forward your package, please send the following information to 


    Wes ID 

    Tracking Number 

    Preferred Payment method if not USPS: (Middletown Cash) or (Student Account)

Information for Student Workers

  • Will students with campus jobs continue to get paid for the rest of the semester if they are unable to work remotely?

    If students are on work-study (Federal Work-Study, Wesleyan Term-Time Employment, or Freeman Scholars Term-Time Employment) and had been working prior to March 23 and had not exhausted work-study award earnings, they will receive compensation for scheduled work. The compensation will be based upon an average of the total amount of pay they had already received for the spring semester (i.e., earnings received from December 16 through March 22), divided by the number of paychecks they had received, up to their work-study allocation.

    Example 1: Sarah was awarded a $1,375 work-study package this semester. She worked a total of five weeks in the spring. Her earnings through March 22 totaled $385. On average, Sarah earned $77/week ($385/5 pay periods). Sarah will receive $77/week for the remaining eight weeks of the semester, bringing her total spring semester work-study earnings to $1,001 (the $385 previously earned, plus $616 ($77 x 8 weeks).

    Example 2: Sam was awarded a $1,375 work-study package this semester. He worked a total of eight weeks in the spring. His earnings through March 22 totaled $1,150. On average, Sam earned $143.75/week ($1,150/8 pay periods). Sam will receive $143.75/week for two more weeks, at which time Sam will have reached his $1,375 work-study ceiling.

  • How do students know if they are on work-study, and if so, how can they find out what their work-study package is this semester?

    Work-study students are those who have been awarded Federal Work-Study, Wesleyan Term-Time Employment, or Freeman Term-Time Employment as a part of their financial aid awards. Students can view their financial aid award on SIMON through their WesPortal. Once logged into SIMON, choose the appropriate academic year from the drop-down on the top right-hand corner of the landing page, and then choose Awards from the menu drop-down on the top left. The financial aid award is broken down by semester, including work-study eligibility.  

  • When will students receive their first paycheck for scheduled hours?

    The first paycheck will be direct deposited into students’ bank accounts on April 10.  This paycheck will represent pay for the week of March 23.  The last pay period for the spring semester (the week of May 11) will be direct deposited on May 29 (if students have remaining work-study eligibility through that time).

  • Why is the University limiting scheduled payments only to students with remaining work-study eligibility?
    Students who demonstrate financial need are expected to meet a portion of their educational expenses through a work obligation. The amount of the work-study allocation represents the amount of work the University expects the student to earn to meet that student’s financial need. The University is committed to meeting 100% of a student’s financial need. Therefore, the University is committed to ensuring that students who were working to fulfill this work-study expectation continue to receive pay at the same level, up to their expected work-study allocation.
  • How will work-study students who were working multiple jobs this semester be treated?

    The scheduled pay will be based upon the pay they received in each job. If they are unable to work remotely in both jobs, and have not reached their work-study ceiling, the scheduled pay will represent a combination of the average pay in both jobs. If they are able to work remotely in one job but not another, and still have remaining work-study eligibility, they will be paid for the actual hours worked in their remote job, plus receive scheduled pay based upon the average hours worked in their other job.

  • Where can students learn about job openings for positions that can be done remotely?

    Open positions available for remote workers will be posted on the Student Employment website. Such positions may be available to work-study and non-work-study students; eligibility will be determined by the supervisor of the position. Any hours worked in these positions will be paid as timesheets are submitted and approved in accordance with the University’s student weekly payroll schedule.

Information for F-1 Visa Holders

  • How should F-1 visa holders prepare to travel home?
    F-1 visa holders who have decided to travel home or to another location should make sure that they have proper documents to return to the United States. In order to return to the U.S., you will need: 1) an unexpired passport, 2) a valid F-1 visa (Canadians are exempt from visa requirement) and, 3) an I-20. Before you depart the U.S., make sure you have a valid travel signature on page 2 of your I-20. A travel signature is valid for 12 months or until the program end date on the I-20, whichever comes first. Chinese nationals who have an expired F-1 visa are strongly recommend meet with a staff member at OISA before you make any international travel plans.
  • Will students be able to maintain their F-1 status while Wesleyan transitions all courses to virtual instruction?
    The U.S. government recognizes there are extenuating circumstances because these classes were not intended to be online. The Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) received guidance from the government that they intend to be flexible with temporary adaptations to classes. Provided international students can continue to make normal progress in a full course of study as required by federal regulations, students’ legal immigration status is not in jeopardy. Students are expected to attend online classes just as they would have attended regular classes in order to maintain their F-1 status.
  • Can F-1 visa holders still apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
    Yes; please email to schedule a virtual appointment. All support for OPT application will be provided online. Please note that you are NOT able to submit your OPT application outside of the U.S. OISA can only send your OPT I-20 to a U.S. address. If you plan to apply for OPT, it is recommended that you stay in the United States to complete the process and wait for your EAD card to arrive.