Obtaining a Passport and a Visa

1. If you do not have a passport, you must obtain one from the appropriate office of your government.  Your passport must be always be valid for at least six months into the future of the date of your entry into the United States.  It is your responsibility to be aware of the expiration date of your passport and visa and to renew it at the appropriate time.

2. We recommend that you schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible in your home country.  Processing times for visa issuance vary and may require additional time due to security checks on applications. For updated information please check the following web link from the U.S. Department of State:  http://usembassy.state.gov/

3. Read carefully all information on the Form SEVIS I-20, especially page two.  This will explain your legal responsibilities as an F-1 student in the United States.  Sign the Student Certification (#11) on page 1 of Form I-20, and provide the information requested if under the age of 18.

With your passport, proof of financial support, Form SEVIS I-20, receipt of payment SEVIS fee, acceptance letter from Wesleyan, and visa support letter from the Designated School Official, go to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain the F1 visa.

If you are denied a visa, contact the Office for International Student Affairs at Wesleyan IMMEDIATELY.  We may be able to contact the U.S. Consulate on your behalf.

You should be given a reason for the denial and that information would be helpful for Wesleyan's Office for International Student Affairs to know as they assist you.

After Arrival at Wesleyan

You are legally required to register your immigration documents (passport, visa, I-20, and I-94) with the Office for International Student Affairs.  You will be notified when this will occur during Orientation for first-time students.

The I-94 card (Entry Permit/Arrival Departure Record) will be given to you on the airplane before your arrival in the U.S.  Each time you enter the U.S., you will be issued a new I-94. Each time you exit your I-94 card will be taken.  Your I-94 card will indicate your visa status of  F1 or J1.  D/S will be written on the card to indicate it is valid for the duration of status of your studies.